HybridZ

Ooh, Ooh, Got A New Toy

Scottie-GNZ

Last Friday turned out to be a great day. I had dinner with a fellow Z enthusiast, I actually got to use my sunglasses in Seattle biggrin.gif, and I got notice that my new laptop was ready to be picked up.

Thinkpad T21, 850MHz, 32GB HDD, an incredible LCD with 1600x1200 resolution, DVD, yada, yada. Now I can carry a movie collection when I travel.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

Guest Anonymous

I am jealous wink.gif

You will love that computer. I am using an IBM A20, PIII, 700Mhz with 128MB of RAM. I am dual booting Win98 and 2000 but am ready to go strictly 2000. NO DVD but it is the best thing since sliced bread. I haven't used a desktop in months!

Craig

Yikes, this thing has 256Mb memory!!

Mike, what do you plan to use the laptop for? If it just for a programmable system or basic functions, I have an old 486 I can "loan" you. I used it in the car for my datalogger running in DOS-mode and it served me well. It is loaded up with Win95 and Office but has only 20Mb memory and limited disk space, no CD and requires a power cord as the battery is a "door nail". I say "loan" because it is company property but it is old and definitely not in their inventory, but you never know if they will ever want it back, LOL.

Let me know if you can use it and I will send it your way to try out. Again, I would not consider for primary use.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

Guest Anonymous

OK, Scottie; you got me smile.gif 256MB is a ton of RAM. Sounds like you got a Cadillac for sure!I have got to order my engine management system so I can plug my laptop up to the car. I think I hear VISA calling my name!

I am 95% sure I want the WolfEMS system. http://www.wolfems.com.au They do have a stateside rep whom I have talked to. I just like this system. BTW, their site is not real specific about it but the system DOES datalog. It is kind of the best of both worlds: hand controller with laptop functionality.

Scottie/Mike: Will you guys look over their website and give me your opinions? I would appreciate it since you both have looked into several other systems. Any other opinions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig

Guest Anonymous

Scottie,

I was definitely not hung up on useless datapoints and the like. I just like the Wolf setup much better than the SDS. I like the hand controller better than the SDS one. Also, Wolf is about to release their updated system which will have more auxiliary outputs, a built-in boost controller and other goodies. It also is set up to control my electric fan.

I think the Electromotive system does most of that as well. I don't envision myself being at the track much but am looking to get a great running Z car out of this. I plan to put it on the street and drive it a lot. I will first setup my NA car and then move to the turbo once I get comfortable with whatever management system I buy.

Agh! This is driving me crazy. I tend to always go for the best product I can find but cost limitations have got me here.

Thanks,

Craig

Scottie,

Thanks for the offer. If I don't come up with something that has a bit more HP and Y2K compatibility (Want to use it on trips), then I would absolutley take you up on it, for tuning purposes if nothing else! I greatly appreciate the offer!

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Craig,

I did not do a download for a closer look and so my advice is to find someone who is using one (does not have to be a Z) and see how they like it and what issues they have.

It does datalog but only displays hi/low which about all you could expect on an LCD. Hi/low data is good but only if you get the data points, especially on a turbo car. Making a 1/4-mile pass and getting hi/low without knowing exactly when/where they occured is not very useful IMO. E.g., a very low O2 reading is not so bad in 1st gear but you would certainly want to know if it was at WOT in 3rd. If it does display that info, then that is a point in its favor.

I am not here to sell you on the simplicity of the SDS, but do not get caught up in the sales hype of "65,000 datapoints". Why even show datapoints for "WOT"/anything below 2000RPMs? or timing at 1000RPMs related to full boost? That only serves to confuse the novice because those datapoints are unrealistic. I also noticed the only map they displayed was in 500RPM increments. On a turbo application, you need extra fuel and ignition retard as a result of boost demand and those should be seperate tables independent of tables for "normal" driving w/o boost. You can drive at fairly high RPMs w/o boost but you will not see much boost, if any at all, at very low RPMs.

Sorry, I am rambling and it is my own opinions. I really wish SDS would make datalogging available even if it was optional for those who did not want it.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

doh!.... i am already lookingfor a new laptop now.. and both of those are on my list along with the HP omnibook 6000..

anyone have an idea how they compare?

the IBM is a bit more $..

Mike

Speaking of the Wolf EMS, I agree about controller looking better and it has the capability of laptop output. Personally I think the Auzzie's make some of the best EFI packages around Motech, Haltech, Wolf, Autotronics ... Unless there is something very wrong with the code is written, it's all about options and user friendlyness .

Do a good amount of reaserch before buying, ie know how to program it before you buy it . Ask others there opinions on a well setup Wolf EMS system that has had dyno time .

Guest Anonymous

SCCA: I have heard bad things about HP computers but have no first-hand experience. I do know that if you want a scanner, printer or other accessory - HP is the best in my experience and usually just hook up and work forever.

Clint: Thanks for the reply. I have read the Wolf manual and it is very self-explanatory. I don't think I will have any problem using it if I go that route. A fellow by the name of Pete Sanders has it on his Z and is happy. The Wolf distributor here in the US is fairly familiar with the Z as well. I have just got to make a decision.

Craig

Well I'm gonna stick my 2 cents in since I've been a computer tech for 7 years.

the best brands in laptops that I've seen are as follows

Micron (hands down)

Dell (pretty darn strong)

Gateway (good value)

Toshibas wear out pretty quick in the way of a screens.

IBM's are nice but over priced.

well that's my 2 cents

------------------

Future 12 sec L28ET Driver

Laptop? Try this -> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?cat=3951&dept=3944&product_id=932331

I printed out the "Out of Stock" ad, took it to the local WalMart, and got the "$198" laptop for the listed $750 price. "Only" 64meg of RAM so I bought an additional 128meg for $50 :P Note that it's got a DVD player, sound, TFT screen, and other goodies like a built-in modem. It's not perfect but for the price it rox!

hit enter too soon..

i have to have a 3yr warranty-- this seems to be hard to get in some brands..

micron doesnt even list a option for it.

i have a P2-266 NEC Versa SX nice computer 13.3" screen but i need more stuff now as i am using it alot more.

need/want smile.gif

so far the best i found is a HP omnibook with P3-600 256/10gb with built in NIC with 3 year warranty for $1500

open to suggestions if anyone has other ideas. $1500 is my limit. and must have 3 yr warranty..

------------------

Mike

mike@fonebooth.com

http://www.outlaw-brakes

raceparts and brake upgrades.

A very nice guy we all know named Dan donated an HP 2000CT (133mhz) laptop to me. No horsepower house, but just being able to do stuff on business trips, etc. is a BIG luxury for me. Helped out in a meeting I went to the other day as a collegue got held up at an airport and emailed his presentation to my hotel room the night before.

Laptops, no matter how powerful - ARE KEWL!

I can't wait for the day when I finally decide on an EFI system that can use it as a tuning aid and datalogger!

Thanks again Dan!

Scottie, that's one killer laptop. Are you looking to control each molecule of fuel through the injectors or something wink.gif ?

I know that IBM is an expensive SOB, but I do not want anyone to think I paid for it. I telecommute a couple of days and travel often and that is what the company gave to me. I have an older 486 (my apologies to those who still thinks a 486 rox biggrin.gif) that I use in the car. My datalogger is MS-DOS based so I do not need much.

If I was buying a laptop, I would do exactly what BLKMGK did. It is hard to match the price that Walmart, et al can offer.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

Guest Anonymous

Same here. The IBM is a company purchase. Still, I have had such good results I would have to look at one personally as well. I admit it might be crazy but its my money, right? smile.gif I have had the Gateway laptops before as well and they were pretty good.

The thing I like most about IBM is the little rubber tip for a mouse. I personally HATE those touchpads because I never could do any real work with it. I realize others will feel just the opposite.

Craig