HybridZ

How much should I pay to get headers coated?

I actually thought about Tony at first, but I'd really like to do things locally (sorry Tony).

Tim,

I went to Autorama with a mission this year: Find a (competent)place that does ceramic coatings and such. Out of five booths, only two of them wanted to talk to me. Must have been the fact that I didn't look like the type that would drop $100K into a street rod. rolleyes.gif

Joe Williams

Exotic Coating

30708 Beverly.

Romulus,MI

(734) 595-4674

He sounded more interested then number two I'm about to mention. Also, he's right down the road from us between Merriman and Middlebelt, and Van Born and Ecorse. He quoted me $250 for stipping the headers (I've got little surface rust from running them last year) and coating both inside and outside.

Doug Byron

Process Coating

36 Harrington

Croswell, MI

(810) 679-3035

He seemed a little more "cocky" than the other guy at Autorama. You know the type, "Let me tell you why MY coating is soooo much better than everyone else's." Also, he's located up near Port Huron meaning it would take a good two hours to get up there.

Let me know if you to do something soon. I'm thinking of dropping my headers off to the guy in Romulus next week some time. Maybe he would knock a few bucks off if he did both ours orders...then again, maybe not. Let me know.

-Andy

Just like the subject states, how much should I expect to sheel out for getting a set of headers coated. I've been getting quotes around $200 for my set of long tube headers. I;m just wondering if the three places I talked to are trying to rob me, or if these prices are normal. Thanks in advance.

-Andy

Here's a header coating tip: find a place that coats outdoor furniture. I've got a .25 mm thick silver aluminized coating on my headers that really holds the heat in (egt temps @ 1300+ degrees at the collector exit) and keeps the engine bay cool.

They orginal set lasted 5 years and still looked new. I ended up bending them on a stupid off-track excursion.

------------------

John Coffey

johnc@betamotorsports.com

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, John

Rub it in my face why don't 'cha.

Sorry for beeing bitter, but I just found out last night that my transmission pump gave up the ghost. Looks like my $3 front main seal fix is going to cost roughtly 100 times more now frown.gif Oh well, better I figured this out now and not in the middle of June. I'm sure I have it running in time to have you run faster than me rolleyes.gif Don't tell me where you live, I might be tempted to remove your driveshaft until I get my Z rolling (yours too Scottie!)

Now, to the "other" johnc...

Furniture coating, hmmm. I never thought of that. Might have to look into that. Thanks

-Andy

JohnC

I'd like to hear more about the outdoor furniture coatings idea. I have ALOT of tubing to be coated (a full dual 3.5" exhaust w/ mufflers AND the 240Z's system too) and am looking for a cheap way to get it done...that WORKS! The thick coat sounds great...how much is it compared to a comperable exhaust ceramic job?

Jason

Andrew,

Aren't you running a 700 trans? I had the pump let go on mine also.Found out I broke the stator in the converter and a piece found it's way into the pump, which then pumped all kinds of crap through the trans.Now all I need to repair it is a new 3200 converter,front pump,seal kit and a few clutches.I hope yours isn't that bad. John

God!

Please don't say stuff like that!!!

I'm really nervous about what is causing my massive leak in my transmission. When I put the converter on the input shaft, there is a lot of play in the converter. I'm hoping for the best, but I fear the worse. John, I hope you don't mind if I e-mail you off line to talk about this. I haven't found too many people with 700 knowledge, or experience.

-Andy

Guest Anonymous

HPC coatings, I paid about $250.00 in and out. John, can they get the furniture coatings inside? The exterior will keep the temps. down, but exhaust rust from the inside out. HPC gave me a life time warrantee on the coating, and they were great people to deal with. 5 years is a good life for headers.

Guest Anonymous

Hey fellows

Shipping isnt so bad, most of the stuff I get shipped to me only cost about 15.00 bucks each way. I charge 130.00 for block huggers up to 200.00 for long tube , inside and out. The coating will last a lifetime if you take care of it. I wont say my coating is better than everybody elses. Because the fact is that 95% of the shops use the same product as I do. A quality job is all in the application of the product. A really good job should be very very close to a chrome finish. Dont worry about what the inside looks like, as long as it is covered. The outside should be smooth and shiney and it will last for a good many years.I dont know first hand , but have been told that "Jet-Hot" is very nice at first but the shine suffers much quicker than ours.

Just thought I would chime in. Let me know if I can help. Tony

------------------

My Z is unfortunatly on the back burner,due to the shop,but not to much longer!! www.speedtechcoatings.com

Thanks Tony,

I would have liked to help out the fellow Z community, but again, I'm starting to feel the time crunch set in. A friend with a Mustank is starting to talk a lot of poop and he needs to be put in his place. Well, he already knows his place... he just likes to get me fired up.

I've definetly got you on the list for future jobs. By the way, I had to pay $225 for my long tubes to be stripped and coated. Haven't picked them up yet, but I've heard from a second source that they look pretty nice.

-Andy

------------------

"But I don't sit idly by,

I'm planning a big surprise."

Andrew's Land of Z and Honey

Guest Anonymous

This won't help you guys in the far north, but I know of two other places to check.

A friend of mine had a set of six cylinder headers coated by AirBorn coatings in OK city and they came out great. You can see how they turned out at Stan's header page

I've personally used a place called Hyperkote in Orlando and they also do nice work. Their prices are on the website.

------------------

Jack Collins

72 240Z

66 Mustang Coupe 250/AOD

Click Here to visit the Ford Six Cylinder Performance Forums!

[This message has been edited by 66coupe (edited March 19, 2001).]

Guest Anonymous

Well, There is enough work out there for all of us. But I have looked at many many of the other coating shops on the web, and I am happy to report that in almost every case my prices are lower.(shameless plug) Also keep in mind I will barter for sbc performance goodies.

wheelin & dealin!! Later, Tony

------------------

To many projects:74 V8Z,63Nova SS,48Chevy Street rod. www.speedtechcoatings.com