HybridZ

Dragster in disguise

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey.. my friend wants to take a car that looks like **** and make it haul ass... i was wondering what cars are good for this? i/e the gremlin? old vw? what?

what has a fairly strong body and looks like **** , while normally having no power?

thanks.

I used to have a 81 buick century station wagon (body rusted to hell) but the engine went so I threw in a 350-4barrel from a early 70's camaro. It shocked a few people, imagine if it was built up a bit (or maybe alot!) : ) Fairly easy to pull off.. unless you wanted something more exotic? How bout a "wayne's world" amc pacer? complete with portable cd player mounted on the dash. LOL

!!!!!!!!!!!!!Volvo wagon !!!!!!!!!!!

It must have all the liberal bumper stickers and two baby seats in the back and a blown LT1 under the hood....

I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy it....

------------------

Remember it is only a piece of metal.

Guest JAMIE T

I built a sleeper from a 4cyl 89 mustang. I made it look like a stock 5.0 LX with an auto trans(everyone knows that AOD equiped stangs are slow)With the mustang it was easy to get a race with some of the fast cars. It had Dart iron heads, a heavily ported and welded intake(stock looking from the outside), and a very hidden nitrous system. no AOD though, a C4 with a 3500 stall converter, used the stock shifter, no one ever looked under the car. I gutted all of the interior and stripped the sound deadener, heater/ac box and anything else that was not going to be needed for speed. I left the faded paint ,cracked windshield and stock LX 10 hole wheels in place to add the stealth look. The car and me looked like I just bought it from some old woman who had not taken care of it. I just acted like some some dumb kid who had bought his first "5.oh" and everyone fell for it, for a while anyway. My new project is going to be different, no one complians about getting beat by a Ferrari biggrin.gif

250 GTO replica driver to be:

Jamie

Ray's idea of a Volvo wagon is good, especially if it has a 383 or larger motor. I own two (soon to one) Volvos and they are heavy suckers, but can hadle quite a bit of abuse.

Also, Pauli's idea of a Capri is a good one--outfit one with a large Ford or Chevy V8 and have one heck of a time.

I dont know if you're stuck on engine choices SBC or not SBC but a late 70's early 80's Chevy Malibu.

They came w/the V8 Diesel! So if you find one-even if it has a gas engine in it-they should still have the bolt holes for that diesel....You ask yourself/why would I care about a diesel?

Well, back then, GM's Diesel was based off a production Olds 455; the internals were made to run on diesel. So if you wanted, you could have all kinds of torque in a relatively light car by obtaining one of Joe Mondello's 455 Olds & put it in one of those cars. Or go a cheaper route & just go 350SBC...that's been done a lot w/those cars.

Usually those cars were ragged on pretty hard by their owners & most everone that owns one didnt take proper care of them; so they should look like **** already. If you're lookin for a light car that is a sleeper/go 4door. No one ever thinks of the 4door sleeper!

Kevin

(Yes,Still an Inliner)

Guest Anonymous

You could do like I believe it was Hot Rod did and put a 500 inch caddie motor in a Chevette, narrowed 9" ford rear. Gut the interior, gas it and put on a smoke show forever.

Lone

Listen to Lone,

The Chevrolet Chevette was the smallest, lightest, rear wheel drive car GM ever produced. Do a search for "Big Block Chevette Sleepers" and look through all the responses you get. That "Bad Seed" project in Hot Rod magazine went 12.1's (at 3000 feet of elevation) on something like $2000 of junk yard parts (including the Chevette!)

Personally, I'd like to convert an early 80's Chrysler K-car into a rear wheel drive sleeper. Heck, I wouldn't even need to do that. Some guy already has an 11 second wrong-wheel-drive K-car with just the Chrysler turbo-II motor. Just try to imagine the humility he inflicts upon poor unknowing victoms...

-Andy

Guest RON JONES

A BBC will bolt right in to 78-81 malibu,nice sleeper(I had one that ran in the 9's).I remember that chevette that Hot Rod did.They spent $1000 and cracked the 11's.It didn't have a narowed 9",It had a rear end out of a mid 70's v8 Mustang 2.Wild Car!

Try this - find a Pinto and put in a Turbocoupe motor smile.gif Or find a nice Vega GT and slap a SBC in it. How about a Datsun Z with a SBC? Oh yeah, that's been done! smile.gif S10 pickup? GMC JimmyS10 bodystyle? Used ot be a nasty Jimmy aorund here - 2WD of course.

My Vega was a blast but handled like garbage with big 'n littles. I even ran across a page today dedicated to Vegas. The Pinto is much the same thing - small light and will accept a V8 too. The Chevette is also WAY cool and not seen too often but I don't know how hard it is to swap in a V8 - guess I'll have to hunt URLs. I wouldn't go crazy with the motor though - you'll just spin the tires.

good topic, go with that chevette or vega or pinto three of the ugliest cars ever created that will take a v8, or go with some late 70's datsuns like the b210, 810, and stick sbc on it, youll never be uglier and faster

or those k-cars,yucko, i would kill myself if

one of those beat me....

Guest Anonymous

Yeah i was thinking about the late 70's datsuns.... my mom had a 79 210 i think it was..... ugly and light... perfect....it's still sitting down the street in someones year.. windows busted out... perfect :P

The coolest one I have ever seen was a total sleeper/commuter and handled well . It was a nissan pulsar (pullstart) with a VG30et and used a 200sx tranny and bellhousing. Fast nimble and a true sleeper quiet. A 510 with a VG30 has been done as well as an L28. Racing a 510 has limitless options for dirt cheap.

im saying late 70's datsuns because some guy down the street when i was a kid had an 810

with a small block in it, primered with a fat

dent in the quarterpanel, i mean fat dent

he couldnt even close the hood, he used hoodpins and his hood was always a little open, but that thing would roast em so hard and long you couldnt even tell where it stopped spinning em!!!!! i was 14 years old and the guy was a lot older, and that thing was gross, he used green glow in the dark paint and striped it too, for extra ugliness i guess.

Oh and the Gremlin... I knew a guy that had one with a 400SBC in it smile.gif Had mini tubs, looked like crap, and he sprayed that puppy ike mad at the track. I don't recall what it weighed but it must have been one wild ride! IF you can find one in good shape - go for it. Unfortunatly they're hard to find these days as are decent condition Pintos and Vegas (sob). Chevette's on th eother hand can be found in junkyards pretty easily as of a few years ago. Emissions regs migh tstill apply to some of them though.