HybridZ

Help with Bosch 044

jkgts1

So I got a Bosch 044 inline fuel pump, I believe the inlet is M18x1.5 and the outlet is M12x1.5. Well, I bought two AN fittings, one M18x1.5 and one M12x1.5, both with male ends. I test fitted the inlet side, the threads have alittle play, doesn't seem to fit all that well to be leak proof. The outlet side of the pump already has a fitting on it, looks like some kind of brass fitting, and looks like there is a spring in there. Does this brass piece stay on? I'm guessing it is maybe some kind of valve, for safety? Well, I just want to know what kind of connections I need, because it seems like the ones I bought are not the correct ones. Then I thought that I need the o-ring style AN fittings, but did not find any with metric threads. This is my first time doing this and I'm not sure what I need. I will try to get some pictures up when I get home tonight.

Thanks

Now looking at the outlet (with the brass colored fittings) I think I need to get a M12x1.5 female end not a male end that I have now. I am still unsure if it will be "water" tight. See the inlet with the blue AN fitting on there, there is a gap around the hexagonal portion. Can anyone chime in for input? I know many people use this pump, so what fittings did you guys use?

Thanks

You should be able to use the AN fittings if they are the correct metric thread together with the copper seal rings. The rings are what create the seal and not the threads themselves, so don't bother with pipe tape on the threads.

By the way, the Bosch part number should be something like 044 xxx xxx, not just the 044 number. But the pump in the photos are the typical electric fuel pump that has been around since the late 70's.

Okay, so I can put a copper seal ring on the inlet side and see how it works. What about the outlet? If I purchase the M12x1.5 female to AN fitting should that seal up when I tighten it all together?

Thanks for the help

Thanks. Those look like the same fittings I have, minus the oring. I also have the male M12x1.5 for the outlet, and the pump in my picture of the outlet show a male end on the fitting that came with the pump. Did you have the same brass fitting on your pump and removed part of the fitting to put the AN fitting on? Sorry I have so many questions.

Thanks

The brass pieces are for a banjo fitting; what the 044 pump was originally intended for. They are not designed to seal, AFAIK. You need something like you would for a turbo oil inlet where it has a crush washer for the actual seal. Put a copper crush washer on your inlet fitting and that should work for that side. A similar thing for the other and you should be fine. I can dig my 044 out (still sitting on a shelf ATM) to look at it, too.

EDIT: Using an ORB AN fitting would work, too, I suppose.