HybridZ

Pinging problems on boost

delorean6584

hey delorean, I recently rebuilt my motor l28et and I got it running good enough than that sound came around. Iam not sure if the same as yours. I narrowed mine done to the chain tensioner rubbing the chain and its a squel almost like a belt squeel. I am re opening the front cover and going to correct it. Just a thought though , Iam not there so I cant say. Is it making the sound when you rev? on load? is it coming from the side front or rear? good luck pointing it out

my turbo is a rebuilt so the wastegate is not stuck, it is working perfectl, but i remeber seing a crack on the housing where the wastegate is...i asked for it on hybridz for that i had replies that it dont matter, the boost ir very good, but maybe could the crack making the sound ?? its not leaking anywhere though... i also tested the actuator with 40psi of ciompresed air, no leaks no sound, wastegate closed..

you misunderstood what i read. I'm saying now that it's rebuilt and the actuator rod is clean and the housing is refreshed... i think it's opening PROPERLY now, and that the sound you hear is just something you didn't hear before.

the crack you posted is the same as the crack i have on my waste-gate flapper area and it's negligible.

ok i understand, i didnt hear that sound before because that engine wasnt mine, i bought the engine without the turbo and exhaust manifold, after installing all these components i used it in my spare car, wich didnt had any exhaust, the stock ecu wich wasnt working more than 50% of the time, so i didnt used it at all, now with all the new ecu, intercooler i hear it very loud...the gaskets for intake and exhaust are new, i dont see any leaks at all, the turbo is rebuilt, nothing is stuck...but it seems really like something coming from the wastegate, just like it opens too soon or the pressur push it just enough to allow some air to bypass and wistle...

update !!, i didnt find what was the sound yet but i talked to one of my friend wich did had some problems on his car when raising the boost like i did, he had to install a external wastegate because the boost was higher than the spring in the wastegate actuator, thus opening the bypass valve, mine doesnt seem to loose boost though...atleast until 4500 (the dizzy cuts at 4500), so could it be possible that the bypass valve is beginning to open wich could create the whistling sound ?

update !!, i didnt find what was the sound yet but i talked to one of my friend wich did had some problems on his car when raising the boost like i did, he had to install a external wastegate because the boost was higher than the spring in the wastegate actuator, thus opening the bypass valve, mine doesnt seem to loose boost though...atleast until 4500 (the dizzy cuts at 4500), so could it be possible that the bypass valve is beginning to open wich could create the whistling sound ?

Depends on how it sounds, but my turbo sounds like a jet engine when it's spooling. Some make funky whistles and some just the whooshing/sucking sounds.