HybridZ

From scratch rewiring, Megasquirt/Lights/Everything

I'm finally back from college and have time to work on the Z again. I've started to work on a complete rewire of every system from the lights to the engine.

My clear begun to flake badly, so I did a quick repaint with SPI black epoxy.

2919c8327ccb.jpg

My daily driver now. 1994 Acura Integra. Not bad for a grand! It has the smoothest manual tranny I've ever driven.

Twocars.jpg

I drew up the basic diagram while bored in class. It incorporates every electrical component of the car. I'm switching all my light switches to the dash to clean up the steering column.

Wiring.jpg

Working on the layout. The shape is because I'm fitting it in the spare tire well under my hatch.

200905161700_377.jpg

200905171228_380.jpg

200905171436_381.jpg

200905181712_387.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

That looks really neat and obviously took a lot of initiative. The only thing i am worried about is having all of those insulated crimp connectors. They don't seal out any moisture and are prone to corrosion. The factory harness used crimp connections but they were sealed with heat shrink. Newer cars use plastic harnesses with rubber seals that seal out moisture, but allow for easy disconnecting (example GM weatherpack)

It may not cause any immediate problems, especially being on the interior of the car, but I'd still avoid it. Possible alternative: If you used UNinsulated crimp connections but put a small piece of heat-shrink around the crimp to seal out moisture, you may get the best of both worlds.

That being said, it seems to be a great setup for testing and troubleshooting, since all the connections are exposed for quick voltage / resistance checks.

forchunet: I would like to canvas folks on Hybrid Z forum to know what the demand might be for really good and understandable wiring diagrams with a good parts list. I am studying Microsoft Visio where I am planning to make the diagrams. Would it be better to also make modular inter-mating harnesses for sale? Would like to get yours, and others reading this, opinion on same. Thanks.

He lives in TX, and I doubt he's gonna put hundreds of thousands of miles on it in extremely humid conditions anymore to make it a problem.

So do I, and I have had plenty of corrosion issues with vehicle wiring. It's a real problem no matter where you're located.

My first MegaSquirt wiring, I used butt crimp connectors. I never had one come loose. But a professional mechanic convinced me to cut them out and solder / heat shrink everything, and I was surprised at the corrosion that had occurred within a time period of about 6 months. The wires weren't rusty yet, but the copper looked dull and dark in places.

Check out a boat supply shop, I know here we can get aerosol rubber, basic rubber dissolved in solvent, spray it on and the solvent evaporates leaving a nice moisture and salt resistant coating. cover the boards with that and it will keep them nice and protected.

I know a guy up north before I moved who used that on exposed joins on his boat trailer, 3 years after application, doing some rewiring he peeled off the old layer and the wire ends in the crimps were still bright and clear. Given your car isn't going to spend time underwater at the seashore (unless you go to fast on a beach road :D) it should do the trick.

I'm sort of in the same boat, cept I don't want to rewire my MS at this point in time. The rest of the car however I would love to do. Any chance progress on this has been made?

I've already done it. It isn't complicated, to be honest. Just take your time, make some charts to keep your thoughts organized and you'll be fine.

Honestly, I think you guys are overthinking the corrosion of pure copper. Maybe if it was going to be used as a daily driver in metropolitan Canada for another twenty years, but I doubt it...

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I chop off the insulator on the crimp on connectors and solder them - that way water can't wick up the wire. I also use a piece of heat shrink with the hot melt glue or meltable inner jacket to make it water tight. If you are putting all this effort into building the system its cheap insurance to protect it.