HybridZ

Wheel adapters

has anyone used the 4 lug to 5 lug adapters to broaden the selection of rims? offset and the 4 lug pattern seems to be a major retriction finding wheels for my new 77. as far as wheels go im not looking for anything to large or exotic just a nice 16 or 17 that doesnt need to be very wide just something to make the car a roller at this point. any help on the subject is appreciated. i didnt find too much in search to my sepecific question so if its there and i missed it i appologize.

Offset is not a problem if you run the right spacers or adapters. I am running a 40 offset wheel with 1.5" adapters. The only 4 to 5 lug adapters I've seen for our cars is a 2 piece ones and they get pretty thick, like 2".

Offset is not a problem if you run the right spacers or adapters. I am running a 40 offset wheel with 1.5" adapters. The only 4 to 5 lug adapters I've seen for our cars is a 2 piece ones and they get pretty thick, like 2".

are you running the same 4 by 114 pattern as stock? and what size wheel are you running with that offset?

Yes, running stock 280Z hubs 114.3X4, the adapters are really spacers with 114.3 pattern. I got them from MM http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=6&PHPSESSID=c78693e4b417aae719f57952270f3e93 They have 2 sizes depending on the offset you need, +36 or +40.

The wheels are 17x7 ADR Phantom I got off EBay. The wheels will fit either 100 or 114.3 bolt pattern.

PC130001.JPG

BTW I have 2 of the +36 offest I will sell for $75 delivered.

are you running the same 4 by 114 pattern as stock? and what size wheel are you running with that offset?

• 2 weeks later...

I did run 2-piece 4 to 5 lug adapters from Techno Toy Tuning. They don't make them anymore.

The outter piece is held in by some allen head bolts. They were very hard to remove after they had been installed for a while. However, when in place they worked flawless. No rattles or vibrations... no steering issues. I ran 18x8 wheels. The adaptors were 45mm thick and that is the only thickness offered. I had +38mm wheels.

purplez25.jpg

wheeladaptors.jpg

In hind sight, I was planning out and researching switching to 5-lug. I wish I had just done that so that I could run some crazy offset for really big lip in back. :D oh well....

Now I have a new 280ZX and just run the Rota 4-lug wheels with +04mm for a little lip and it bolts right up.

I have a set of 4-to-5 lug adapter that came with one of the Zs I purchased a long time ago. I have never seen anything like them before but I guess they can be made by any competent wheel shop. The bolt pattern is for Z31 wheels (5X4.5) and they are 1 inch thick. As you can see in the picture, one of the wheel studs is shared between the hub and the adapter (using longer stud in the orginal location)

DL 094_thumb.jpg

DL 096_thumb.jpg

Several people have PMed me for more information about the spacers and therefore I would like to add more pictures here so everyone can see the design of this type of spacers.

I was incorrect about the longer stud in the previous post--my memory has been fading laterly :). The actual stud is a custom-stud with threads on the stud head. Once this stud is installed (one for each spacer), regular wheel lugs can be used. Beside this stud, each spacer is held onto the hub by three nuts.

One issue that I observe with this type of spacer is the close proximity between two of the original studs and the spacer' studs. For everything to fit flushed, the holes for the three nuts mentioned above need to be relatively large; and these larger holes are very close to the spacer' studs. Cracks could be seen in this area--not all the way, but around the enlarged part of the nut holes and the studs.

Hope this information helps in your search for a 4-to-5 lug spacers.

DL 097_thumb.jpg

DL 102_thumb.jpg

DL 103_thumb.jpg

DL 099_thumb.jpg