HybridZ

Question about ecu differences.

To start off.. I have a 83 280zx that I recently did the turbo swap on.

My engine is from a 81, I have installed a 83 dizzy, running a efi harness from a 81 that has the drop resistors bypassed and beyond that everything is stock.

The car previously had a 81 turbo ecu that went bad. I tested it with a buddies that also had a 81 unit and it started, drove and all that jazz.

I found a turbo ecu from a 83zxt, installed it and am having some odd problems. The car will start and idle but the second you even attempt to hit the gas it will die. Also if you pull the afm harness off the car stutters for a second but keeps on running. If memory serves when i had the 81 ecu on the car wouldn't run at all without it hooked up.

I searched all the wiring diagrams that you can get and didn't find any real differences between the 81-83 setups. Is there something I'm missing here or did wiring change that would cause that to happen?

any ideas?

Yeah well I did the ECU Swap.. everything was dandy. Then 4 weeks later I start running rich and worst off at a stop light I go to go and almost die.. all I see is puffs of black smoke out back and the smeel of raw unburned fuel... Nooo Idea!

checked friggin everything re wired everything, just changed thermostat. tried rerouting coolant tubes from turbo (cause I swapped in a 300zxt turbo) nothings worked.

Best I can do is its now bad mainly Just when turbo kicks in at 2500RPM thats after after 5 timing sessions LOL.. tried every timing possible some work better at highway some better at idle but nothing cures my over fueling at about half throttle...

if you look inside you will see lots of chips, transistors, resistors, diodes and capacitor on two boards I wouldn't call that not much. Pulled one apart that wouldn't work found a blown diode. I'll replace that and try it out. actually that one is off a z31 so maybe the 280zx is much simpler.

That's a possibility what Bleach said. You may have a bad connection somewhere or right at the AFM. Also check your timing, check for vacuum leaks, and again make sure your CHTS is plugged in. Even if that's plugged in it can go bad. Every Z I've had so far that had a CHTS has had the CHTS go bad.