HybridZ

L28et won't build boost and falls on its face

I kicked my ECU's a$$ and even tried a distributor from a running car. When we swapped the dizzy in, the timing did what it is supposed to, but the test drive still did the same sputtering when giving it a lot of throttle. It wasn't doing it all the time though, it seemed like 30-40% of the short pulls pulled pretty good, and the rest sputtered. We got back and checked the timing and it did about the same as before, where the idle was at about 20 deg, then went down with a rev to about 2000 rpm for 5 secs. Swapped back on my dizzy and it did what it is supposed to where it advances, but we didn't drive it again because we figured the dizzy is fine and it is either the ECU, or possibly the Balancer Pulley is slipping. I think we are going to start wiring the Megasquirt and see what happens...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

dude i hate to be the guy with the scary theory but... The first engine i built i cold pressed the wrist pins in and the thing threw a rod after a while. so you could have a stiff wrist pins and scratch journals. my car had the same symptoms it wouldn't rev much past 4 grand under load and was completely useless powerwise. I mean if all else fails that would be my theory. did you cold press the wrist pins in? did you plastiguage your crankshaft/connecting rod clearances? it might be worth looking into if you can't find any other problems (and it would beat sourcing a new block like i had to) do the tune though see what happens

good luck buddy