HybridZ

Pros & Cons of Lt1

Guest KraZ4spd

Guest KraZ4spd

I can't decide which way to go, Carbed 350 or Lt1. What are the pros and cons of both? Meaning with the swap, maintenance, reliability. I know cost can be high or low on both so that is not a concern. I want something to drive and eat some rice with, but not worry about breaking down.

Guest Anonymous

i guess i am the only one who notices this but how can you "RACE A CAR" and still want it to run reliably when you race a car you are pushing it to its max that is never good for an engine so how can you expect anything to be reliable just i had to throw my thoughts out there!!! icon_biggrin.gif

The reason that I chose to build a V8 zcar was the ease with which a high horsepower to weight ratio can be achieved. It is not necessary to build an engine that is on the verge of self-destruction in order to have a very fast car. I have a bone stock 5.0L mustang engine in my car. The car has been a daily driver for nearly a year, has seen ~ 40 passes on the drag strip. I intend to auto-X the car this weekend. Although the car is not as fast as some of the more modified cars on this site, my Z is faster than most vettes, WS6 Trans Ams, etc... The car gets ~20mpg, and I have had no reliabilty problems. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm no expert, but I'll give it a shot...

pros of the LT1:

-better fuel economy

-efficient fuel management

-you don't have to tinker w/ carbs to get the mixture right

cons:

-not as much potential as a carbed 350 block

-costly

pros of carbed 350:

-more potential

-cheaper

-cheap parts available at any pep-boys, kragen, grand auto, autozone, etc.

-less of a mess than an LT1 with wiring harnesses, ecu, etc.

cons:

-carb tuning

-fuel economy (not like anyone cares!)

just basics

[ June 28, 2001: Message edited by: auxilary ]

There is plenty of reasons for one to go either way. Carbed motors are simple and parts are inexpensive for basic parts.

The LT1 is a complex motor and may require more tweeking in the initial installation, but once it is in, you will not have to jack

with jets for tuning and a choke in the winter. It is a smooth running engine that builds alot of power and torque all the way through its rpm range. A stock motor with headers and a high flow intake and a computer reprogram is over 300hp easy.

yes part are expensive. I dogged my 97TA

all the time and basically just thrashed on it. it finally died at 117,000 miles.. before that I spent 150 bucks in maintanance and I never had to tune it. I garuntee you will not get that out of a 350 carbed motor

that has an hei type disty...

If a stock 325hp WS6 is capable of 13's in a 3400lb car, think of what that will do for your 2700lb Z..

My small change!

Myron

Guest Anonymous

Procrastination is a lot like masturbation: it feels really good until you realize you just screwed yourself.

Hahahaha

That's too funny!

Like what's been said above there are both pro's and cons. Here are some more icon_smile.gif

LT1 = WOW factor! Smoother power and depending on how you do it the stock ECU could be reprogammed with software from a laptop (LT1Edit). You'll also have more hassles with getting it in the car and wired but overall it could be pretty cool.

Carbed motor = plenty fast, parts are cheap, well known technology that will allow friends to more easily help with. Jet changes and carb grief. Easier wiring.

Some tidbitsstray thoughts to consider one way or the other - used LT1 motors can be had somewhat cheap, I just got back from GM Carlisle and saw pallets of LT1, LS1, and an LT4 motor or two! I took a picture of a complete 2001 drivetrain and suspension sans car - including torque tube (I'll post later). They have hypereutectic pistons but strong rods and aluminum heads stock. You can always inject a carb motor later (I will be)and get many of the same benefits of the injected LT1. It might be easier to start carbed and move "up" to injected - you MIGHT even be able to use the OEM computer too but I'm NOT sure yet. Folks are gettin gplenty 'o power from LT1 motors now and that will grow over time. The iron headed LT1 in our Impalla SS screams and it probably weighs 4Klbs, it would be great in a Z.

In the end - either way works, neither one is necessarily "better". I saw an LT4 swapped into an older El-Camino today too (I took a pic!) so obviously even the "really complicated motors" can have their problems overcome. I guess it depends on your wallet and time available. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Anonymous

Aside from the initial cost, you have to factor in the cost of special tools, software, etc., along with the learning curve for becoming conversant in "techno-speak" when you're dianosing problems. Personally, I love it. I switched from carbs to EFI about 12 years ago. Wouldn't have it any other way.

I will admit, if you really corner me, that I do miss the sound of the 2nd quad opening when it really begins to pull!!

If you build a really fine machine, neither way is cheap.

Just my 2 cents icon_smile.gif

oh man i wish i had a choice like that. the lt1 is a great motor and can be found for an ok price, but a carbed 350 can go from 50-????? dollars depending on how solid your mouthpiece device works. lt1 is a harder install, but the power is great with simple bolt ons. a carbed 350 is great because, well, its a chevy and the whole world knows how to work on them, i think one out of three people can spit out the firing order on a chevy in three seconds, i know all of us can! me, i run a carbed v8 and i freakin love it, the tuning and the simplicity overwhelm me sometimes, but tuning is a constant with a carbed motor and youre always bent over your car doing something to it, but its cheap! the lt1, not so cheap, but has aluminum heads and a great power band, definitely my next choice is motorvation, the one thing i think is terrible is the opti spark located behind the water pump, that really chaps my hide, but hey, you get the injection, the smooth ride, the quiet-er driving, a tiny advantage in weight distribution, and the HEAT!!!

my opinion

Leonard

when the 327 blows, Lt1 in she goes....

Guest JAMIE T

I think the LT1 is an ideal swap engine, and thats for any car, not just Zcars. Where else can you get an Aluminum head smallblock for $1500? The distributer is in the front, so no problems with hood latch clearance. Also, the LT1 intake is one of the best factory designed Chevy intakes ever. It has short runners, but still makes plenty of torque. My '94 6spd Z28 has 96,000 miles on it and is driven hard everytime I drive it(wife drives it to work daily). It just sound like a killer deal to me. When I go to V8 my '71, I'm going to go LT1 or 302 Ford. Though you can't build(or buy) an Alum head 302 for $1500, plus a trans for the Ford as strong as the T56(another $1500), is a 5spd(Tremec), and cost as much as the 6 spd. In my opinion(for what thats worth icon_rolleyes.gif ) The LT1 is worth the EFI wiring headaches.

Jamie

Deathstar

Guest Anonymous

If you have the budget for replacing the fuel system (bigger lines and a rear sump kit or fuel cell and a in tank electric pump), the LT1 makes a alot of sense. Its reliable, has great torque, is pretty upgradable by just changing injectors and throttle bodies and has quite a few hop up parts because of the late model Camaro. HP wise I havn't seen conclusive evidence showing it has any more top end power than a carb motor, but it definitey has better mixture of the fuel through the entire range. The fuely motors are also known for having an extremely long life span due to more accurate fuel mixture and less dilution of the oil than a carb engine. I'm currently running a carb motor, but future budget allowing, I'll be converting it at some point just for the ease of tuning and better street manners. Just a opinion of course.

Regards,

Lone

Jamie - T56 for the Ford motors can be had for about $1700. If a six speed floats your boat it's worth considering. Had I known that I might be doing a Ford swap right now but when I started the T56 for Ford were over $2K - my friends now get them for a good bit less (sigh). I could've built a 351W fo rwhat I spent on the 383 but I still like th efact that the SBC is so well documented. I'd have been the one documenting the 351W if I'd done it. There's some appeal to that though, maybe a second Z? The woman would kill me if I bring home another car though.

And no, there will be no LT1 in my Mustang. The 351W EFI with a blower in there now will work just fine and it's already paid for icon_smile.gif

[ July 01, 2001: Message edited by: BLKMGK ]

Guest Night_rider_383

I don't guees i can say something that aint done been said but i would like to throw in my two cents. Yes the LT-1 is a great engine if you like the pain of efi. The carbed engines is great engine if you dont mind the pain of "dailing it in" foe max power. Now on the other hand we know a 300 hp in a z car will get you in the high 12's or low 13's well with that point being said then you really dont have to mess with much dailing to get a 350 with a 600 cfm carb to that power and you can really run out of the box jetting and air/fuel mix maybe triming the mix adjusters 1/4-1/2 turns. LT-1 with all the sensors and computer stuff if you get off by much if any on the adjustments you do have will all your hard work and money is gonna go up in smoke. I know most of use here are "do-it-yourselfers" but if you do have to take a lt-1 to a shop the price will be about 3-5 times higher than the same stuff would be on a carbed engine. Parts are alot higher and not quite as easy to come by as they are for the older engines. It really comes down to money and what you understand and know. If you know how to work on computers and computer engines then i guess the LT-1 would be the best, but if you know older engines and how to tune/work on them then you really need to stop and think before you jump into the efi deal. Myself the LT-1 is like a black hole but i have always been around the "old timers" and older type engines.