HybridZ

1500 RPM Idle

Hey guys, have a question for you on my 280ZX 2+2 NA. I went for a drive yesterday and when I got to the stoplight on the second mile the car wouldn't idle below 1500 RPM. I went back home to mess with it but nothing I did would make it idle down, I checked connections on the temperature sensors in the thermostat housing and everything looks ok there. I also removed the AFM, flapper closes all the way. I didn't change the idle screw and it is going all the way to the screw. AC was off the whole time. Any ideas where I should go from here?

Thanks,

Justin

Un-Metered Air.. Somewhere you have a Vacuum hose disconnected and its getting some nice fresh air into Manifold. Check all your connections. you should be able to hear a Hissssssssss probably if it is a Vacuum line or EGR tube open/cracked/rusted/unplugged.. ect ect specially if its a solid 1500rpm..

Found out what it was today, there is an air bleed valve (not sure of its purpose) on the bottom of the intake manifold that I could pinch off vacuum to and the car would idle normal. I gave it a good tap with a pair of pliers and it seems to be working fine now.

Now, I suppose it will do it again some day and I should probably know what it is supposed to do. It is on the bottom of the intake manifold and has a small vacuum line that comes from the top of the manifold that goes to it, it also has a large air line that comes up from it along side the manifold and tee's off and one goes to the throttle body, this line is about 7/16 ID or so. It has a pressed steel canister with a nut on the bottom of it, it has 6 screws that hold the pressed steel canister to the aluminum housing, the whole thing is held on by two 10mm headed bolts. Any ideas what it is??

Thanks

Justin

its your cold start valve. I just reread your post and I thought you had said it was above the intake.

The underneath valve is the BCDD (boost controlled decleration device).

Read the Haynes manual and it says to be done by qualified Datsun mechanic LOL

I have removed and cleaned many. Just mark the plates by scribbing a line disassemble and clean. Don't dump in fluids until rubber is removed.

good luck.

Still think the cold start valve.

It is on the bottom of the intake manifold and has a small vacuum line that comes from the top of the manifold that goes to it, it also has a large air line that comes up from it along side the manifold and tee's off and one goes to the throttle body, this line is about 7/16 ID or so. It has a pressed steel canister with a nut on the bottom of it, it has 6 screws that hold the pressed steel canister to the aluminum housing, the whole thing is held on by two 10mm headed bolts. Any ideas what it is??

definatly not PCV

pcv has one hose and is not bolted to mani

It is on the bottom of the intake manifold and has a small vacuum line that comes from the top of the manifold that goes to it, it also has a large air line that comes up from it along side the manifold and tee's off and one goes to the throttle body, this line is about 7/16 ID or so. It has a pressed steel canister with a nut on the bottom of it, it has 6 screws that hold the pressed steel canister to the aluminum housing, the whole thing is held on by two 10mm headed bolts. Any ideas what it is??

definatly not PCV

pcv has one hose and is not bolted to mani

yeah its the bcdd that hes describing but tapping on the intake manifold could have loosened up the pcv, because I don't see how a bcdd could effect idle unless one of the vacuum hoses has a hole/crack...

could just go outside rev it and see if the bcdd is actually working

Its the BCDD, I found a diagram of it in one of the manuals. The funny thing was that I could pinch the small line from the top of the intake off and the car would idle down.

I removed and disassembled it, cleaned and reinstalled it and everything seems to be working fine now. I just marked the adjustment nut stud on the bottom and put it back where it was after the cleaning of the entire valve. The diaphrams were nice and pliable so I don't know what was up with it but it is working now.

Thanks

Justin