HybridZ

Head swap ?

wheelz510

I have an e88 head from my 260z and i am trying to put it on an F54 L28 motor. I have seen this has been done many times before, but the one thing that no one can answer, is what head gasket to use.

can some one please answer me this, since it the only thing holding me up from get the car put back together.

Thank you

Ah i miss interpreted your question. ugh well i would search for Head options or what not and try to find out. i think that the e88 is a stock carbed head so i dont know your best bet would be a p90 or there is one more that i'm not sure on but is pretty common for a turbo swap

Use the head gasket that matches the block. A F54 block/P79 head combo is from a 81 to 83 280zx. The heads passages are all about the same but the blocks are very different.

From this thread.

So use the F54/L28 Head Gasket for your application.

AutoZone gave me the same part # head gasket for my early L28 and my Flat Top F54/P79 L28.

Do you have a Flat Top block or a Turbo block? Seems like E88 would make too high of a CR unless you are running upgraded fuel management. I looked into putting my N42 on my FT F54 last fall and member here have told me it is a really bad idea without a bigger cam and engine management [Megasquirt, etc]

uhhh wont you have a 8:1 comp ratio with e88 with l28 dish piston and still a 8:1 with a p79 on l28 flat top pistons. all assuming you use a felpro head gasket. the comp goes up if you use a e88 on flat top l28 pistons to 9:1....... but i could be wrong. still a 9:1 is not bad.

I used the non turbo f54 block, and used the fel pro head gasket to match. I figured with the .020 shaved head, the nissan motorsports domed pistons, it should be around 10:1. Which that should be nice. I am still using carbs so fuel should not be an issue and i have an L9 cam, so the motor should run decent. I guess i will find out this weekend.

Thanks for the help on the head gasket!