HybridZ

Seam welding on rotisserie?

Well I just wanted to know how you guys feel about seam welding the body while it is on a rotisserie. Of course welding to evenly distribute the heat, but do you think the body will warp more easily because it is on the rotisserie? Or am I being overly concerned?

Thanks

Well I just wanted to know how you guys feel about seam welding the body while it is on a rotisserie. Of course welding to evenly distribute the heat, but do you think the body will warp more easily because it is on the rotisserie? Or am I being overly concerned?

Thanks

I am not an engineer and don't have a lot of experience with this sort of thing,

But from my own experience, when I first put my car on the rotisserie I did it before I cut out the floors and installed the new frame rails (Box section that runs the entire length of the underbody and connects the front to the rear), I found it very difficult to open and close the doors, actually pretty much impossible - getting them open was ok, but closing them was a real nightmare, I remember reading other people on here have had similar experiences with their Z's, this would suggest a bit of flex in the chassis,

After I installed my new floors and frame rails, which are similar to Alterzed Z's (he has a great website with lots of great information regarding the installation of new frame rails) and Mull's, the car appeared to flex a lot less, doors now open and close ok!

I would think without this sort of modification or a cage, that the car is probably going to flex quite a bit on the rotisserie, so I would probably avoid seam welding it whilst it is up there!

If your doors line up properly now, take 'em out and put x braces in the openings and seam weld away!

Yoy can even cross brace between the cross braces to box the cabin section.

Not much needed - spot welds and a bit of metal - easy to remove - little time.

Save you a bunch of griping when on your back welding and probably on total time.

i had my new subframe connectors in before i put it on the rotisserie and then seam welded on there. doors line up fine still. i do not think it is that big of a deal. take it slow and in sections. i have seen some people have all of the suspension on while on the rotisserie, that i think is pushing it.

jimbo

Yeah the car is completely stripped and I did the sub frame connectors a few months ago. I also put in a diagonal brace in the car before I put it on the rotisserie, I guess I should be good.

Thanks