HybridZ

datsun v8 radiator..

hey guys im restoring my 75 280z and swapping a 77 350 v8 into it..but im stuck because i cant seem to find a radiator for it...the only place i know that sell them is JTR but i just called the guy and he said he hasent had any for a few months now.....so now im stuck...if you guys know anywhere else i can try let me know thanks....

Hey there, I used an aluminum from summit. It's a Griffin 24x19x3. P/N GRI-1-25202-X.

hey thanks for the info..i looked it up and it looks likes its going to work...is it a perfect fit or did u had to do some mod to install it also how does it perform....??

just want to get some feedback before i purchase 1 thanks...

nazgule6, I used the JTR lower radiator mount with some urethane radiator supports, dropped it down about 3/4 in from the frame rails with some spacers and manufactured upper radiator supports using pieces from the old SU carb heat shield, hammered an angle on them then screwed them into the upper radiator cross section. The fit is great. There is about an 1/8 in opening on both sides of the radiator, but I really havent worried about that one yet. I heard very good things about griffin so I decided to go for it. No regrets and no modification necessary.

I have the same radiator. The fit is nice even though a little fabrication is required. We put a similar Griffin in my brothers Z28, and it has performed great. I however, must have the bad luck, I just filled mine last night, and it must have flunked cooling school, it gave away all the coolant to the floor. My radiator has a crack in the lower corner. Make sure you check it right out of the box!

Cheers

Ryan~

I have the same radiator. The fit is nice even though a little fabrication is required. We put a similar Griffin in my brothers Z28, and it has performed great. I however, must have the bad luck, I just filled mine last night, and it must have flunked cooling school, it gave away all the coolant to the floor. My radiator has a crack in the lower corner. Make sure you check it right out of the box!

Cheers

Ryan~

thanks for the help guys....will i guess the griffin is what im going for then..plus the price is just what im looking for...ill be putting in a order from summit today.....ill post some pics of my car up when im finish 8)

I got my Griffin back today(fixed now, there was a crack in the lower tank on one side) and installed, again.... I started the engine too, and it's snorty, lol, I don't remember getting that hairy of a cam. Anyhow, you can't see much of the radiator from under the mount, but it's there. I'm also using a Taurus fan wich also fits quite nicely.

misc007.jpg

Cheers

Ryan~

I got my Griffin back today(fixed now, there was a crack in the lower tank on one side) and installed, again.... I started the engine too, and it's snorty, lol, I don't remember getting that hairy of a cam. Anyhow, you can't see much of the radiator from under the mount, but it's there. I'm also using a Taurus fan wich also fits quite nicely.

misc007.jpg

Cheers

Ryan~

wow thats a fat radiator haha......i order mines on friday and should get it monday...hey ryan just to make sure this is the same one as urs correct.http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=GRI-1-25202-X&N=700+0&autoview=sku

oh and what year is ur z?

This is the radiator I used in my Z, it fits between the rails and worked really well with my Turbo RB30 with a 16" SPAL Fan,

Its from an Isuzu Rodeo 1998 to 2003!

Can get it really, really cheap in the US!

Its a single core 32mm thick and has a provision for auto cooling lines if required!

RADIATOR-7352A.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-99-00-01-02-03-ISUZU-RODEO-3-2-V6-RADIATOR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33602QQihZ016QQitemZ260392097109QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I don't have the slip with me so I can't check part numbers, but I'm pretty confident that that is the same radiator. Mine fits in my in my early '74 260 really snug, with only about a 1/8" on either side of the tanks to the frame rails. However, my frame rails have been modified by a previous owner and are narrower than stock. I am using the JTR style lower radiator mount with some rubber pads and then my own top mount with rubber pads. It is a nice fit though, I think.

Cheers

Ryan~

I am using the JTR style lower radiator mount with some rubber pads and then my own top mount with rubber pads. It is a nice fit though, I think.

Cheers

Ryan~

Your upper mount is very pretty and nicely welded ;) Nice work, man.

Davy

I don't have the slip with me so I can't check part numbers, but I'm pretty confident that that is the same radiator. Mine fits in my in my early '74 260 really snug, with only about a 1/8" on either side of the tanks to the frame rails. However, my frame rails have been modified by a previous owner and are narrower than stock. I am using the JTR style lower radiator mount with some rubber pads and then my own top mount with rubber pads. It is a nice fit though, I think.

Cheers

Ryan~

This radiator is about 630mm or so, so fits between the frame rails and its similar in height tot he JTR radiator, so like you did, could easily mount it in a similar fashion to what JTR prescribe, I just welded two mounting tabs onto the bottom on my radiator support panel and made two brackets that came over the top!

It's a touch tall, but no different in height than the 280zx tripple core radiator!

I can't believe how cheap this is in the USA, like $50 or something buy it now - its about $300AUD over here!!!

Thanks Dave!

Sorry Jay, I looked all over for the reciepts but havn't come across them so I could get the part numbers. I got both of them at Napa. The top one is a direct fit, well at least for my aplication, it was the bottom one that was tricky. Napa has a nice book they let me use which I found easy to navigate, showing the hoses inlet/outlet diameters, a picture of the hose, and then they were sorted by length. It didn't take long for me to find some that looked close, and I ended up taking four home and returning the other two. My biggest porblem was findind part numbers that they had in stock.

I wish I had written down the hose numbers just in case at some point I would need to replace them, then I wouldn't have to go through the whole fiasco again. I might have a picture showing the hoses better if you want. I have been keeping my reciepts, so if I find them I'll post the part numbers here.

Cheers

Ryan~

Here is a pic that I happend to have. I'll take more pictures next time I'm in the shop.

The top hose is easier to see, and it is really simple for my setup, being almost level with the thermostat housing, and roughly 21" with 1-1/2" ends and only needed one bend(and it cleared the powersteering resivor! ha). The bottom was the tricky one, needing several bends and being something like 16" and 1-1/2 on the rad side by almost 2" on the pump.

misc002.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I finally got around to taking some pictures of fan/radiator/shroud/hoses to car/fitment, etc. heh.

Here is the relationship between the Griffin radiator to the opening in the nose of the car. It could be a little wider if the frame rails would allow it, or get a radiator that isn't as tall. I'm using a slightly modified JTR type radiator support on the bottom with rubber mounts. I had to lower the support just a bit to get the top of the radiator level with the core support.

misc039.jpg

You can see here that the fan shroud fits nicely to the radiator. I used some foam tape on the edges to give a soft seal to the radiator. I also had to just barly notch the top left corner for the hose to fit. The fan has been cleaned up a bit, any extra tabs or excess plastic has been removed for the most part.

misc035.jpg

This shot is more for the hoses. Pretty basic here. I bought 6 hoses on one trip, and managed to get lucky with two of them, then returned the rest. The top one was a dead ringer, the bottom hose was the hard one to find, there is another angle you can't really see in the bottom hose. Here you can see some more modification to the fan shroud for the bottom hose. Also, the fan shroud would fit flat in this area except for a small flaw in my shroud mount where it needed to be welded at just a bit of an agle. Right now the shroud wants to pull away from the bottom of the radiator, wich ment supporting the bottom too to keep it close.

misc036.jpg

Cheers

Ryan~