HybridZ

I polished my Valve Cover......not the most fun I've had with the Z

S130Z

Well I just got finished polishing and painting my valve cover. This was not one of the more fun things that I have done with the ZX. I started off with a 220 grit and worked my way up to 1000. Then I used 2 different grits of polishing compounds(red then grey) on a cotton wheel hooked to an electric drill. I also used my dremel for some of the tight spaces. Although I missed a bit of small spots, but it looks good enough for me. It took me a total of about 7 hours of labor, that includes the 2 times I dropped it and had to resand some spots. I have not gone with an aluminum hand polish yet, so I'm sure it can get a little bit more shinny.

Here are some Pics.....

DSCN2162.jpg?t=1243898090 DSCN2163.jpg?t=1243898105 DSCN2164.jpg?t=1243898129 DSCN2165.jpg?t=1243898148

I have great respect for the people who get these looking 100% as this takes a lot of labor and patience. I had a very little idea of how to polish aluminum when I started, but I'm sure if I could do it again, it would end up looking better.

Yeah i've been thinking about doing mine and have an idea on what i'd like to paint on the top. The bitch is that I don't have a spare gasket and don't really feel like taking it off the car, i'd rather drive it.

Doing it right on the car is impossible. So i'm keeping my eyes peeled for a spare cover or at least waiting 'til I have the car put away for winter again in a few months to do it...

Gotta wait 'til the very end of October or early November before it goes away. Either steady cold temps or snow, whatever comes first.

Sounds fun..

It definitely helps to have good tools too. A bench grinder with a cotton wheel would have been nice, but you gotta work with whatcha got!

You can use a bench grinder with a cotton wheel? I suppose it makes sence, does it adapt together?

Yeah, I have the motor torn down and parts at the machine shop. I was kinda board and thought it would be nice to have a polished valve cover. I do think it was completely worth my spare time though.

You can use a bench grinder with a cotton wheel? I suppose it makes sence, does it adapt together?

Yeah, they make cotton wheels that go in place of a grinding wheel. You just need to take off the safety covers.

Looks great Adam. Most people will not realize how tough it is to polish these valve covers unless they try it for themselves. The NA valve covers are worse due to the casting, so thank your lucky stars in that regard. Mothers will only take out very very minor surface imperfections. The best way to polish these things is to take out the surface casting marks, scratches etc with a fine mesh wheel on a die grinder then use a powerful grinder (lots of rpm and amps), the buffing wheel and several stages of clay compound. Its all in the prep.

Good job!

Yasin