HybridZ

240z with VQ35 Weight

240hoke

Curiosity was killing me so I finally went by a truck stop today and weighed my car. I was a little disappointed but overall I am happy, considering the addtion of the interior with ALOT of soundeadening and jute . I weighed it on one pad, I should have put my front wheels on one and the back wheels on the other but I wasn't thinking about it enough. Ill go back and re-weigh it if I don't corner weigh the car soon.

VQ35 Setup:

Certified Automated Truck Scale @ Truck Stop

Weight: 2480Lbs

- 1971 240z

- Full tank of gas (~16 gallons)

- VQ35DE w/ 6spd transmission

- R200 LSD

- 300zx CV's

- 6 pt Roll Cage

- Subframe connectors

- TWO layers of brown bread asphalt sound deadening

- Corbeau Seats w/ Full Interior

- Watanabe's w/ Flares

- Fiberglass bumpers

I forgot to list power windows....but they add all of about 4 lbs (maybe).

The reason I was slightly dissapointed was that the last time I weighed the car it was 2280. This was as follows:

Scale: Silver Dollar Raceway (SEZ: Macon GA)

- 1/4 Tank of Gas

- L28et

- Factory 5spd Transmission

- Factory DS / Factory Half shafts

- One layer of Sound deadening / No Interior/ No power Windows

- NO bumpers / NO Bumper Brackets

- Panasports

So a good bit less stuff, I think the car is lighter then the same chassis setup with a L28et and the Z32 transmission.

Sounds like you had roughly 80 lbs worth of extra gas on board compared to your last weigh in. Is the new iteration better for carrying the extra 120 lbs? Is the power better, or the chassis noticeably stiffer, handling improved, etc? Or does it feel heavier, less responsive, etc?

Well I got a chance to shake the car down on the dragon at Zdayz. I have to say I was very impressed with the car... I think it feels better then it did with the L28. S

That being said though, like I mentioned previously, I think I DROPPED weight over the L28 setup I took out. I wish I would have taken the time to weigh the car before I pulled it out but not something I was thinking about.

I also really want to corner weigh the car to see how the weight distribution is and then set it up. I know that the front of the car sat a good bit higher after the swap.

Before:

wats_069.sized.jpg

After:

DSC_0196_Medium.sized.jpg

It kinda hard to see but in the first picture the tire is actually tucked under then fender flare a bit, after the VQ I had about a 2 finger gap. I know technical measurements.

So you think the reason for the discrepancy is that the scales are off? Seems like your V6 and 6 speed would move the weight back a lot. Might be that it actually is heavier, and the weight is just farther back. A turbo car with a FMIC and associated plumbing seems like it should have more weight on the nose.

I dont think you read what I wrote.

Here is what was added to the car since the first weighing that would add weight and would effect BOTH setups.

Sound Deadening (At least 25lbs)

Jute + Carpet

Power Windows

Interior Plastic

Door panels

Bumpers and brackets

Grill

3" Driveshaft

300zx CV Axles

3/4 Tank of gas

More rubber and wheels

heavier battery

The previous weight also included a STOCK 5spd transmission. The L28 I was running had an adapter plate and a z32 trans which adds ALOT of weight.

SO in response, yes I think the weight has moved back, yes the entire car lifted up if you look. How much weigh did I drop I dont know.

I dont want to IN anyway compare the two numbers because they cant be compared...for those of you trying to figure out which setup is lighter. That why I didnt post it the first time.

Weight was not really a factor in me picking the engine though. Ive been able to start putting miles on the car and I am throughly enjoying it. The car is a blast to drive and the overall feel is great. The low end torque, throttle response, and transmission feel are awesome. Its smooth and starts and runs beautifully at all times thus far :mrgreen: