HybridZ

260z rear electric fuel pump

I am having problems getting my 260z to redline and some helpful people have mentioned that it might be fuel related. My pump at the block is fine but I may want to replace my rear electric externally mounted pump and wanted to know what my options are and the best route to go. Also need to know what psi pump to look for? 2-4 or 3-6 psi. Any help would be appriciated.

You might check the little filter screen in the suction side of the pump first. I've seen those pretty nasty before, and I could only imagine that they must inhibit the flow somewhat. Of course, those might just be on the 280's, I am not sure...

Cheers

Ryan~

Gotta ask because I was wondering this, why on the 260Z is there a need for a mechanical pump at the block and an electric one at the tank? Other than possibly the obvious answer or additional fuel pressure.

Any reason I couldn't toss a higher flow rate electric pump in there and ditch the mechanical pump and use a block off plate? (Which by the sounds of it is what MikeBZ did. Any dis-advantage to this?

If you get rid of the mechanical pump and put on a electric pump other than having to add an on or off switch should be easy or you could add 260z relays that turn the pump on or off. Off at 0 rmps on at 400 rpms.

Gotta ask because I was wondering this, why on the 260Z is there a need for a mechanical pump at the block and an electric one at the tank? Other than possibly the obvious answer or additional fuel pressure.

Any reason I couldn't toss a higher flow rate electric pump in there and ditch the mechanical pump and use a block off plate? (Which by the sounds of it is what MikeBZ did. Any dis-advantage to this?

Yeah I ditched the mechanical pump on the head and just use an electric pump near the tank. I dont know why a 260Z would need two pumps. If you put on a higher flow electric pump you'll need to add a regulator. Disadvantages might be- heavier electrical draw on battery, noise of pump, or if the pump fails you wont have the mechanical one to get you home. (none of these reasons would prevent me from just having the elec pump out back)

The 260Z carbs will not even come close to using the fuel that the factory electric pump puts out. Before you change it pull the bottom cover off it, clean it out and replace the internal filter. Most do not even know there is a filter inside the pump itself. Then road test again.

Actually it wasn't a Mr. Gasket, it was a Purolator, model Pro 59SV. The package says it is 6 to 8psi, 32gallons per minute. I didn't use a regulator and have had no problems at all. It has been on the car about one year now. I paid about $70.00 for if I recall correctly. It was in that neighborhood anyway.

Good luck with your ride,

Waddie

If you're not going to purchase a stock Nissan pump then get an early RX7 pump (for the carbureted rotary). That's what I run. It fits well in the stock rear location. It puts out a solid 4 psi and is exceptionally quiet unlike many other external pumps.

If I remember right the electric pump only runs while starting the engine and is tied into the hot wire to the starter solenoid. My Z sits for months at a time. I have an electric pump back by the tank and have a separate switch to recharge the fuel system so the engine does not have to crank forever to start.