HybridZ

Broken Rear Exhaust Manifold Stud-N47 Head

dmcc280Z

I have a 1977 280Z with the N47 head. The rear stud has cracked off due to expansion/contraction of the manifold or was damaged by a previous owner. The car is all original with 75,000 on the odometer and runs well in all respects. I recently called a local Nissan specialty shop with extensive experience in 280Z tuning. Told the owner that I wanted to install a Webcams 94a ($700) cam and do a valve job on the head when replacing the head studs during the repair.

We were suddenly on a header and re-ring job for the engine, replacement of valve springs, rocker arms, etc ($2,000-2,500). I now think that the only thing that needs to be done is have the stud repaired ($450), replace the valve stem seals and leave the engine alone. I was not looking for a rebuild, just a minor performace upgrade without major engine work.

Any thoughts or general advice from those who may have been faced with a similiar situation?

280z Drivers Side_thumb.jpg

280z Passengers Side_thumb.jpg

Edited by dmcc280Z
Spelling.

I had a broken stud on the frond of mine. I drilled it out, and replace it with the next size up stud, to ensure it wouldnt break again, not an issue since. I am going to do the same to the front and rear studs on the engine I am building right now. the whole operation cost me about $75. I bought a set of metric taps, a new drill bit, the new stud, washers and a nut. I also put some locktight on the studs when I put them in.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had a broken stud 3 days ago on a rb25. Usually the studs get brittle and crack and they really aren't lodged in that hard. I just drilled it and used an easy-out to pull the rest of the broken stud out. No need to tap or anything, just get a new stud.

The shop you planed to bring your car to was right about the cam though. You cant just install the cam, you have to replace the springs, lash pads, and at least clean up the rocker arms (which I doubt a shop would do...they would get new) and depending on the size of the cam, there may be more work needed to prevent interference with the guides. If your stem seals have never been replaced, it wouldn't hurt to do that at the same time. If you look up these parts on your own you will find them pretty pricey, so even though the quote you got was pretty big, there may be more to it then what you thought. (Still way too much to pull a stud)