HybridZ

VQ25DET into a 240Z & what gear box to use

OZZ240

Has anyone done this conversion? VQ25DET into a 240Z? I'm looking/thinking about doing this in the next year if all goes to plan.

Couple of questions

This motor is out of a 2001/2004 Stagea 250tRS Four which is a all wheel drive car.

Does anyone know what gearbox & flywheel combo I could bolt up to the back of this to make it rear wheel drive only?

I'm hoping that the gearbox bolt pattern is the same as either the VG or VQ 3 litre plus series blocks.

I know I will have to modify the sump etc to get rid of the front diff assuming it is based on the same principle as the RB26DETT having the front drive shafts run thru the sump.

Is there any other issues I could run into using this motor?

The reason I've picked this motor is by the time I get to doing the transplant the engineering rules for modifying your car may not allow me to have a forced induction engine with a larger capacity than 2.8 litre hence going with the 2.5 turbo, or alternatively I can't go any bigger capacity for a NA engine than 4.1 litre and I don't want to go V8.

My other option is doing a RB series engine conversion but I like the idea of the VQ series.

Thanks

Ian

I'd assume the gearbox would be the same as for other VQ conversions people here have done, the six speed 350Z box from memory. A search will help on this and other relevant things.

Interesting project, just a road car?

Hi Richard,

At this stage just a road car but hoping to do the odd track day here and there.

I have heard that the Navara 2x4 g-box fits on the back of the VG block (5 speed), would like to go the 6 speed 350Z box but I think from memory/readed somewhere that the RB20DET and the RB25DET g-box bolt pattern are different so the story goes... don't know how true this is but was thinking along the lines that may be the VG25DET and the VG30/35 g-box bolt pattern could be different as well, did a quick search here but did not come across anything here about it.

Ian