HybridZ

grr, a little help here plz?

Guest mtj71Z

Guest mtj71Z

ok...

in case your wondering WHY im doing all of this - the reason is im making carbon fiber dashes for the 240Z.

how the hell.....do i take the dashboard OFF the car. is it even possible without tearing it off? i pretty much tore my dash cover into about 50 pieces, broke my little air conditioner control thing icon_mad.gif , in case u dont know im not very car elite. so right now, after a combination of exploring/trying to get the dash off my interior consists of basically the dash, the steering colum, 2 seats, and the little bar that stick out of the transmission icon_confused.gif . i got everything except the dash out!$E!@$ someone..PLZ...just tell me what to unscrew/pull off, break, tear, melt, whatever it takes icon_mad.gif. besides it will be hard to write intructions on installation if i dont know the right way to do it, no? icon_wink.gif thanks again. ps ill even give ppl who reply a discount on any carbon fiber interior piece or something - cmon! thx,

mike

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa buddy, slow down before you hurt your dash. icon_razz.gif

Start by removing the metal plate between the dash and the windshield, it has 3 phillips screws in it. From there, there are 4 bolts under that hold the dash in place up top. 2 more bolts that hold the dash at the center console. You also have to remove the floor vent controls from each side of the car, and there are 4 bolts that attach the steering column to the dash.

Once you've done that, then you undo the wiring harness. A pain in the ass. That should pretty much cover it, but take your time and make sure you aren't ripping stuff apart. Also it helps if you take the steering wheel off, but its not absolutely necessary.

Guest Anonymous

Don't mean to throw a wrench in the works but....

I have made some carbon fiber interior parts and considered making a dash as well. However the parts that I made came out so smooth and shiny that when the sun hits them the glare is intense! NOT something you want from a dashboard! Sorry to rain, but it would really bite if you went to all that work and then hated the results..

Guest mtj71Z

well i got it out! thanks for the info. funny thing is i dont think they needed to put bolts in this to hold it on there are so many damn wires. then again, i have no clue where any of them go now that i have about 100+ hanging out....hmmm icon_eek.gif

the funny thing is - i dont know how many people will go through thsi just to put on a new dash heh. anyway thx again, im sure u will see me in the electrical section in a few weeks... icon_sad.gif

mike

quote:

Originally posted by KicknZ:

Don't mean to throw a wrench in the works but....

I have made some carbon fiber interior parts and considered making a dash as well. However the parts that I made came out so smooth and shiny that when the sun hits them the glare is intense! NOT something you want from a dashboard! Sorry to rain, but it would really bite if you went to all that work and then hated the results..

Fortunately, the first generation Z cars don't have much dash to look down on since the driver's position is down and back somewhat in comparison to say, a Honduh, where you totally see the tops of the long dash--bright sunlight would be a bear to the eyes!! I am also going to pursue the carbon dash idea and I'd like to see how they come out! Good luck Mike!

Davy

Guest mtj71Z

wow. its totally off, i was running around my house holding the dash above my head like some cannible with a hunting spear icon_eek.gif. i dont think it will be too hard to make in carbon fiber. icon_smile.gif

ill let you guys know when im finished. thanks for all the help icon_wink.gif,

'the no more skin left on hands' mike

Guest mtj71Z

yeah i saw his site, i also bought a book on it and bugged him with my questions icon_smile.gif. here are a few pics of the early adventure...including my prize... the rare and exotic

dash%20001a.jpg

thar she is

dash%20002.jpg

skinned

dash%20003.jpg

all those are just holding the dash to the dash frame, sheesh. and btw dont worry im painting my car soon - next adventure icon_rolleyes.gif

and look how roomy the 240 is without the dash to clutter things up

dash%20006a.jpg

also if anybody is still reading this thread...u know that big...uh...thing in the passenger side looks like something to do with the a/c? im taking all my a/c stuff out cause i dont have all the things i need for it to werk-so why should i keep any of it, eh? will it leave a hole - how big?

thanks, hehe

mike

Guest Anonymous

Not sure what model your car is, looks like a early Z, but the 'thing' is your heater/vent fan motor assembly on the passenger side, in the middle behind the center console is the heater core. For A/C in the early Z the only thing it might have would be a unit that bolts UNDER the fan motor assembly that is your cooling evaporator. 280's (not sure on 260's) had the A/C finally put up in the dash and not hung underneath like the add on units the 240's had (A/C wasn't available, the dealer added on the A/C's later). Hope that helps.

Regards,

Lone

Guest mtj71Z

heheh....yes that *unscrew* helped...thanks now i know ...*pull*...i dont really need this *pop* thing anymore. icon_smile.gif

and since i live in florida i dont need the heater either

i think she just lost a lot of weight

thanks icon_smile.gif

Hrm, I have to kind of wonder... since it's all out why not sit down and m ake up your own dash? As you noted there's a ton of room now! Maybe make it mocked up in foam and then glass? I wonder what we could come up with and if it would be worth doing? The Z style is nice, especially with Phantom guages in it but... icon_smile.gif

You doing a whole dash or just a cap? I'd be most interested in a full fiber cap to be honest - I don't want to pull that monster either, especially with my cage in the way! icon_rolleyes.gif

Congrats!

Guest Anonymous

I am going to strip the cover form my dash and restructure it for CD player and other little goodies then recover it in fiberglass and paint it with colored gel coat to give it the look of a race car dash. I saw something like this in one of John Washington's Vel Rossa GTO replicas. It was fashioned like the old Ferrari's dash.

Guest Anonymous

In the future (way in the future), I plan on doing a dash as well. the Z is ok, but I'm looking more at aluminum with the gauges more central in front of the driver. The wrap around dash is a good idea and would look good, not sure I could pull it off in aluminum though. If I'm ever able to get to the dash I'd like to put in a painless wiring harness and a GM steering column (make the hookup easier and I can get tilt and do away with the combi-switch).

Damn, I keep slowly wittling away at the 'to do' list on my car and it just keeps getting longer... icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

Guest mtj71Z

i dunno. i was planning on keeping it stock because the majority of ppl want stock. i had the idea of modernizing the dash, but many ppl prefered stock. also the cap - i was going to do this option also, however, many dashes are not the same. by making a whole new dash it solves that problem. besides, u will only have to take the thing out once. and its really not that hard. if i didnt care about keeping the original shape fo the dash - i coudl have had it off in 5 minutes icon_smile.gif my plan here is to make money of course, but that doesnt mean i wont play with ideas. i am trying the dash first to see how much the thing will cost. carbon fiber is 35 dollars a yard icon_eek.gif . i know you cant please everyone, but a few changes here and there will give a nice array to choose from. i dunno - if i have the time i could make a console/dash pieces thats 1 long connected piece and have that supra flow. still really early to playa round tho, dont want to waste all this supply money icon_smile.gif the dash im planning will have a styrofoam core carbon fiber coating. somethign on the back of the foam to make sure it doesnt start flaking away. youll get pics icon_smile.gif

Carbon fiber stuff doesn't have to be smooth and shiny. If you were to roll on some epoxy(I'd try to get some rubber-toughened stuff) on the old cracked dash, and then lay down a single layer of woven carbon fabric that was pre-impregnated with a compatible epoxy, the texture of the dash would no be smooth and would not be too shiny.