HybridZ

Spark Plug issues

One more time, damned IE!

I'm running Edelborck Perormer RPM heads with STRAIGHT plugs and FlowTech block hugger headers. I bought the recommended Champion Champion rc-12yc plugs for it today. On the driver's side rear plug it backs straight into the header, I can almost thread it but I'm afraid it'll crossthread. On the passenger side it's much the same thing except I got the plug in - it's VERY tight to the header!

I know there are some aftermarket companies that make "short" plugs but so far I've not yet found a cross refrence. Neither Jegs nor Summit appears to list them and only list "Racing Plugs". The Mrgasket.com WEB site's PDF crashed my browser a moment ago so I'll look when I've posted this icon_mad.gif

Anyone else running into this issue? Can anyone recommend an off the shelf plug to get around this problem? It used to be a little easier when plugs weren't kept behind the darned counter - today one place refused to cross refrence the Champion plug because he said they were "very strict" about brands etc. and had no Champions in stock (dumbass). Heeeeelp!! icon_eek.gif

Would angled plugs have been a better choice? I bought straight because I was told they were better for headers but perhaps this was wrong? Just want to maybe help out the next guy specc'ing his engine out...

Update: Oh great, it's an Accell 0786 cross ref plug. There's no "header version" available! If Champion has a WEB site I'll be darned if I can find it. I've sent a note to Edelbrock tech support, cross your fingers... icon_sad.gif

[ July 01, 2001: Message edited by: BLKMGK ]

Guest Anonymous

Jim,

I found them at www.racesearch.com part #P526S this is a U-groove accel 'header' plug. I'm almost positive I've seen these at some of the bigger pep boys stores or maybe even a good sized Kragen might have it in they're 'performance' row.

And no, angle plug heads would have not been easier, at least two of the plugs would have been angled WAY into the header, not just a bit.

Good luck in your quest... icon_smile.gif

Lone

Lone, will those plugs work with the Edelbrock heads? I know Accell makes header plugs but I want to be sure I run the "right" plugs for these heads. Naturally that site doesn't picture the plug or tell ya' squat about what it fits. Plugs for aluminum heads are also apparently different than for iron heads. I've found refrences to these plugs being used in generators, several imports, and a couple of Chevy V8s so far. I even found one site that mentioned these plugs as being th ehot ticket to use where headers interfered (?!). Say what?! These things are looong! Long enough that when I put a plug socket over it it nearly pokes out the back of the socket. Sheeesh!

http://www.martelbros.com/edel/automotive/headacces.html

Guest Anonymous

Hmmm, don't think mine are that long, I used Autolites (just a preference, I've always had good luck with them...) I'd get the number but don't know if I could even see them without taking one out. I can use a 5/8 wrench on these ones I'm using so its definitely of the smaller variety.

Ok, just went out and yanked one, I used Autolite AP145's and they are short little guys. I'm not sure why they spec'ed champion outside of it looking like they have some sort of deal with them? I've fouled to many champions in the past, so just did'nt use them on this project. If you got a few free minutes take your plug down to Kragen and compare it to the autolite in length. This is the first time I've had one out and I was glad to see a nice tan/brown color on the electrode. I'm using Heddman blockhuggers and it clears them all pretty well. Sounds like those plugs are for something with much more header clearance. *shrug*

Granted, I'm using iron heads, but outside of anti-seize grease, I don't know why they'd be different... icon_confused.gif

Oh well, hope that helps, or you can cross reference something that fits. Good luck.

Lone

[ July 01, 2001: Message edited by: lonehdrider ]

Thank you for pulling a plug and checking!! Yeah, Edelbrock DOES seem to have a deal with Champion - it's all they seem to mention. I will grab a set of the plugs you're using and see how they look, my fingers are crossed. I wonder how close the Hedman and FlowTechs are in fitment...

This page -> http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/chevy_2a.html mentions some header plugs but for "stock" heads. Grr! i'll let you know how this works out, sure wish the local Trak Auto had a clue and could've tried to cross this plug for me. I swear half the stores here have NO stock on the shelves and clueless clerks, it's tough finding parts out my way. Really silly to have half the pegs in your electrical and hardware fitting sections empty! icon_rolleyes.gif

Doh, wait you've got iron heads! Yeah, there are supposed to be some "differences". It may have to do with heat transfer out of the plug, I dunno'. Darn, not sure htose plugs will work or not. Unfortunatly this isn't a one size fits all thing - especially with aftermarket heads (sigh). Edelbrock should've known better darn it!

[ July 01, 2001: Message edited by: BLKMGK ]

Allright... picked up some Autolite plugs that crossed with the Champions. They looked shorter but they've got the EXACT same problem! These are Platinum plugs though so I went ahead and loosened the header and bolted on in. I can imagine the joy of doing this down the road some hot Saturday afternoon - bleah! icon_redface.gif

Heard back from Edelbrock "tech support". "Shortest one I know of, you might want to contact the plug companies". Gee, thanks! Got the real impression he thought about that for all of 5 seconds.

Plug is in there now but I cannot put my finger between it and the header - it's tight. I'm betting the plug boot WILL touch and will burn - joy! These headers are coated so banging on them or torching them is a no-go. I might get energetic and swap sides just in case tolerances are coming into play here but with Stage8 locking bolts this is a serious PITA - I lost a clip today as it was.

What's everyone else's experience with plug clearance? What heads, what headers yadda yadda. If any of us are doing better let's at least get it out here so the guys coming after us have a head's up! icon_rolleyes.gif

Stock Chevy "fuelie" heads (461 castings) straight plug

Autolite 303s (I like 'em too Lone icon_smile.gif )

Hooker Block Hugger headers

MSD 8.5 universal wires with 90 degree boots.

The boots are about 3/8" from the header pipe on the closest ones when installed.

Guest Anonymous

I've got the stock smogger heads, straight plug, heddman headers, accel super stock universal cut to length 8mm angled boot, I had 8.5 taylors on there (but they didn't fit real well, some were real short and didn't fit my loom) and I've got probably 3/8" as well maybe a tad less on a few of them but I put the plugs in after it was in the car with the headers in place. I think at some point thats good input for a 'whats known to fit without trama' list or a FAQ. Sorry to hear your having issues with them being that close Jim, can't understand why they'd do that unless they expect them to be used with angle plug heads, and I didn't know any of the blockhuggers were even made that way. Outside of cutting and rebending the tubes, removing them to put in plugs or replacing them, I'm not sure what else can be done. Sorry...

Regards,

Lone

I have the smogger heads for right now, house brand block huggers from Summit, Autolite sparkplugs, and cut to fit Mallory 8mm wires from PAW. There is at least 3/8" clearance from the thick sparkplug boots to the headers. I bought cool vertical looms from "Made-for-You" products that help me position the boots away from the header pipe--but just about any good looms can do this. I wonder why the Edelbrock heads and your headers have so little room for your sparkplugs and wires? Sorry to hear of the problemo BLKMGK. Hrm.

Davy

• 5 years later...

It's not your header causing the problem, it's your heads. I have just run into the same problem after bolting a set of Performer RPMs on my Z with shorty headers. Before that I was running GM castings (several different ones) with the same headers and never had this problem. I ended up using Accel header plugs (avail. at most parts stores) and having to make a special tool (welded a third of a plug socket onto an open box wrench) to get some of them in and the others I had to use a short open box 5/8" wrench I also had to remove the plug terminal to get them to clear enough to screw them in on #2 and #7! The #2 and #7 cylinder plug wire connectors are a nighmare to get on and they touch the headers (just the rubber cover of the plug connector terminal with Accel 8.8 wires) but they have several passes at the drag strip and several hundered miles on them without arcing to the headers yet. If you find any shorter plugs let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a thought I had that might not be exactly elegant, but might give enough room to avoid cutting your headers. How about buying a pair of header flanges as if you were building your own headers, and sandwiching the extra flange between the head and the header? You'd be getting approx 3/8" additional clearance and would have to get longer bolts, probably another gasket, which would give another fraction of an inch. Of course, this might create other clearance problems but it just might help you out of your jam.

fwiw, ymmv, jmho, etc.

Cheers -- Gary

Yeah, they are pretty good, don't clear Dart blocks, stock blocks are fine. I ran 3 inch exhaust with bullet mufflers.

Part #5205, they make them coated as well. I wanted bigger tubes than 1-3/4" inch but I'd have to make them I think. I wanted 2 inch or at least 1-7/8" With the AFR heads I had to grind one of the spark plugs wire end down just to get it started in the threads, but it has pleanty of clearance once installed and the boot doesn't burn either!