HybridZ

Engine Stand

neotech84

So i have searched for most of the day with no luck finding an answer to a good engine stand.

I am 6'1" and with that comes the drawback of having to live life as a mechanic in a constant state of lower back discomfort...... not fun! (I know why drive a Z......). With most of the stands that I have looked at are pretty low, I would like to have it sit above the waist but not higher than the chest.

Now I turn to my fellow HBZ fans in search of a versatile heavy duty (around 2000 LBS) stand to hold my L28 on while working in a comfortable position. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated (other than the obvious..... work from a chair, the ground, cut my legs off......).

Also what are the drawbacks to design?? I know the three wheel stands have a high chance of tipping. But are there adjustable height stands out there??? Google was a bust..... no help there.

Just wondering. Maybe others share my problems......

:redface:

Neo, I don't work on my engine all day long, but I find that a typical engine stand is about the right height to work on an engine (I'm 6' 2" btw).

I doubt you will find one that is actually higher than the standard height for a couple of reasons. First, an engine hoist should be able to pick up an engine from the stand easily---that would limit the height somewhat of a stand one would think. But the real reason is safety---the center of gravity is very high with an engine on a stand. Rolling around a stand that gets caught in a seam on the concrete floor means danger of tipping over. A higher than normal stand just would make the situation worse in my opinion.

You may have to fabricate a stand that has a hydraulic lift on the "neck" part of it, although I think the idea of raising such a weight in that manner would be risky depending on the design.

Anyway, that's my $.02

Davy

2000 Lbs? Are you talking about a cherry picker (engine hoist)? Even the inline 6 domestic diesel engines don't weight more than 800 lbs.

An engine stand it used to mount a block to be worked on (no transmission).

You can buy one as like schucks for like $180 total I think (have to purchase the lower and upper parts separately). You can rent one for like $20-$30 (not including security deposit) and buy an actual engine stand for $60 (last time I checked.

I'm like 6' 3" so I know what you're talking about. I'd say if you're doing small stuff that doesn't require much leverage, I usually sit on a little stool or 5 gallon bucket or just kneel on the floor. If you need more leverage, just stand and stoop over.

ditto on the chair.

One of the blokes i worked with had a modded wheelchair, he was pretty tall and used to use it when working on some jobs (and for smoko)

He raised the chair to suit the average working height and stuffed a couple of trays on the side for parts and tools.

It was pretty ghetto.

But, back to the topic.

If you increase the height of the stand, you need to increase the wheelbase by the same amount.

IMO, you will be more comfortable with a small stool on wheels.

I just built one of my own design that is a bit taller than the one that are available and designed in a "Dutch Key" arrangement to set friction on the shaft that the head is welded to. I can put a 460 Ford engine on it and turn it to any position without having it swing around.

Waddie