HybridZ

Unable to set Boost

B00STDZ

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My bet is that your wastegate isn't able to bypass enough exhaust to keep the boost levels set where you're wanting them to be. You'll have the same issue of not being able to control the boost pressure over 12psi with your new set up unless you switch over to a larger external wastegate, or change turbo set ups entirely. With the new management, injectors, etc. you'll be able to safely handle that 15psi, but because your wastegate is too small you'll be pushing higher and higher levels of boost as you add more fuel and air to create a larger volume of exhaust which your wastegate will still not be able to vent, therefore building even more boost.

Looks like the next step is going to be a new turbo ;)

Looks like you've got the disease!

http://www.haltech.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=105&Itemid=20

Says it has narrow and wideband closed loop o2 control....

It doesn't mean it comes with the controller and sensor. Just that it can use them for closed loop O2 correction. The sensors are all extra (which is typical for standalones).

The Platinum Sport 2000 (ECU Only kit) includes:

ECU Programmable Computer, USB Programming Cable,Instruction Manual (In Software),

Programming Software

I have an o2 sensor... So I have to get a seperate "wideband" sensor? I thought wideband was o2....

your O2 is most likely a 2 wire narrow band. It is not going to tell you exact AFR's under WOT or cruise. With out a heated, wide band sensor and a way to display it, you will not know what AFRs you are running and risk causing motor failure.

I have a AEM wideband. it works great and is really accurate.

Some people here use the LM1 and have great success with that.

The sensor you have there looks like a wideband sensor but Im not 100%. Did it come with the haltech? There is no doubt the haltec will control both wideband and narrow band 02's If that is in fact a wideband 02, are you just going to use a laptop to monitor A/F? Looks cool though.

Alright I have a question, Many people i have seen swap out the CAS/trigger wheel out of a 300zx distributer into a 280zxt distributer...

Is this an upgrade? How?

Is there any advantage to running the 300zx trigger wheel setup in a 280zxt 82-83 distributer if you are planning to keep/use the distributer for now?

Can this 300zx trigger wheel/CAS be used with any coilpack or coil on plug setup(by keeping the distibuter in and just capping it off)?

Do l28et's have a CAM angle sensor?

And has anyone setup anti-lag launch control on a l28et?

Disclaimer: I've only tuned using a Wolf3D V500, so my EMS experience is limited.

Alright I have a question, Many people i have seen swap out the CAS/trigger wheel out of a 300zx distributer into a 280zxt distributer...

Is this an upgrade? How?

Is there any advantage to running the 300zx trigger wheel setup in a 280zxt 82-83 distributer if you are planning to keep/use the distributer for now?

I think they are compatible. Not sure if it is an "upgrade" or not. There are slits in the "chopper wheel" and there is an optical sensor that can read them.

Can this 300zx trigger wheel/CAS be used with any coilpack or coil on plug setup(by keeping the distibuter in and just capping it off)?

The CAS can only tell the ems what position the Crank / Cam angle is. It is up to the EMS to drive the coils. It is up to the user to configure it how they want (wasted spark, sequential, etc). You also need to know if the EMS has some build-in igniters of if they only send a logic signal. If they only send logic, then you need igniters integral to the coil(s) or somehow run separate igniters. You can probably configure it to run using the stock coil / distributor / igniter if you want. :mrgreen:

Do l28et's have a CAM angle sensor?

Yes. Not to be harsh, but these are very basic questions that you should know (research) before tackling an EMS install. The "C" in CAS can mean either crank or cam. In the '82-'83 L28ET the CAS is connected to the distributor shaft, and the distributor shaft is geared 1:2 with the crank shaft, it will indicate the cam angle. However, the '81 L28ET has a crank angle sensor.

And has anyone setup anti-lag launch control on a l28et?

Not sure, but that "bang-bang" system is hard on your turbos. I know 510Six has set up a nitrous spool-up system for launching, but I don't think it is like the Rally cars have anti-lag where it is also used between shifts.

Hope this helps and read, read, read!! (you're in for a lot of reading, I know first hand, it's not easy the first time installing an EMS :lol: ) There is a lot of information in our engine components forum's sub-forums :icon44:

I think they are compatible. Not sure if it is an "upgrade" or not. There are slits in the "chopper wheel" and there is an optical sensor that can read them.

So they both provide the exact same information for the ecu? Or does the 300zx have more slits to provide a more accurate and detailed reading?

Yes. Not to be harsh, but these are very basic questions that you should know (research) before tackling an EMS install. The "C" in CAS can mean either crank or cam. In the '82-'83 L28ET the CAS is connected to the distributor shaft, and the distributor shaft is geared 1:2 with the crank shaft, it will indicate the cam angle. However, the '81 L28ET has a crank angle sensor.

So the Cas in the 82-83 distributer detects both the crank and cam angle. The 81' JUST has a crank sensor mounted on the front of the engine..

Not sure, but that "bang-bang" system is hard on your turbos. I know 510Six has set up a nitrous spool-up system for launching, but I don't think it is like the Rally cars have anti-lag where it is also used between shifts.

They have two options, I can do an anti-lag launch system or a rally style anti lag system...

Yup its going to be a project. Another reason why my car I believe isnt running particularly smooth is because I have a BOV right before the intake releasing some of the "metered" air. This ecu swap will envolve the removal of the AFM and the use of a MAP sensor...

So the Cas in the 82-83 distributer detects both the crank and cam angle. The 81' JUST has a crank sensor mounted on the front of the engine..

No, just the cam angle. It measures the crank angle indirectly, but the resolution is "lower" since it is geared 1:2 to the crank angle.

Also, since there is some inherent "slop" or backlash in the gear, a crank mounted sensor is superior in high-RPMs. I've heard you can get too much "bounce" with the CAS in the distributor.

That sounds like a really awesome system you have there. :)

So can you take the crank pulley/CAS assembly off of an 81' engine and use it to completement the 82-83 distributer CAS? (using the distributer CAS for cam angle and the true crank angle sensor off the 81 to detect crank angle)

Or am I off in left field? I appreciate the help.