HybridZ

ZX turbo into a BMW E30

EZ-E

I dont know if any of you out there are into the E30 model BMWs, but I am and well when built right they last and are pretty easy to maintain like our Zs are.

Well I found a really nice e30 for the right price needing a motor. I was thinking of swapping a 280zxt motor into the E30 instead of replacing it, and therefore giving myself some boosted power and not to mention some more horses under the hood then what the car previously had.

I was just wondering as the search didnt return any results, if anyone has ever tried this type of swap.

Anyone in the BMW crowd, has probably done the M20 to 50 swap but I wanted to try a little something different, and I couldnt think of anything that would be as cheap and as easy for some decent power then a s130 swap into my E30.

So with that what does everyone think? I think this could be fun, but was wondering if anyone had any input, has done it or could think of any problems that I might run into doing this swap.

Thanks for your time

Well if money were no object then yeah, an S50s motor would definitely be in the works, but I thought Id one, do something different and two keep the L6 set up as to keep people wondering.

The lamen wouldnt know any different I dont think. Though you know how the people in the BMW crowd can be hehe.

• Administrators

Here is a HBZ member with an L28E in his BMW E30 car. Runs and drives…

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=117468

I will be swapping an LSx I my ’97 BMW M3 in the next few months, so my S52-US and its 5 speed, (3.2L twin cam inline 6 with VANOS variable cam timing), with DME, (BMW speak for EFI system), will be for sale! Not sure how it fits in the E30 chassis, but would be fun. Would also be fun in an S-30 car, then add boost! :shock:

Edited by BRAAP

Nice find Brapp maybe I couldnt find it because I was searching turbo applications.

Ill have to talk to sunmaster and see what he has done, I really like it, thanks again for the link.

Wow! that 318 with L28 is sweet!

If you have some good U-pull yards around, you will find them indespensible when doing research on unusual swaps.

I've actually pulled an engine from one car and suspended it in the engine compartment of another to see if the swap would work.

They look at you funny when you leave covered in dirt and grease but without anything to purchase.