HybridZ

any megasquirt tuners in here? got a ?

williamb82

i have a 7mgte. engine bucks under boost. did more tweaking ,same ♥♥♥♥. checked the datalog and some reason the rpm sig drops to 0 when this happens. stays 0 if i keep my foot on the gas and engine is dead. as soon as i let off it comes back. wierd.

www.MSefi.com • View topic - rpm sign drops to 0 intermitently

that has my msq and datalog on it.

afr's are 12.5:1ish under boost. its a 7mgte, 57 trim ct26, 780cc/min injectors, edis 6 ignition with stock 7mgte coils like clifton runs, gm air and coolant temp sensors. stock 7mgte tps, 4 bar map, aem wideband, and its a ms2 with v 3 board. no idle control valve or fast idle solinoid.

i know the problem is the rpm sig dropping, but i have no idea what would cause it to drop.

it is loosing the ign signal like i thought earlier. just checked the new log. the duty cycle and rpm both hit 0 together at the same exact time and afr was 11.4 when it did it and timing was 21.9 at 176kpa and was at 4k rpm. so something is up for sure. idk what is going on with it. it happens at a higher rpm and boost now. so idk why adjusting the maps would change this. anyone got any tips. i need to lean the fuel back out now but i need to get this ign signal issue fixed first. the log and msq are here

http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=35557&p=215674#p215674

im wondering if the issue i was having back in feb with this hapeneing at 5600 rpm was the same issue, just loosing the rpm sig.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The problem turned out to be the processor was loosing power due to a cap shorting out internally (was on the 5v supply line). that has been fixed. the car still dies randomly but not very often. the problem is shown on current datalogs as a loss of ignition signal. i bought a house in november but havent had a chance to mess with it. im using a custom 36-1 trigger wheel on the crank pulley and 2 ford edis 6 modules running 6 toyota coils. 1 on each spark plug. i have the proper toyota 6 channel ignitor and plan to rework the inside of the megasquirt box so i can run the crank vr signal directly to the ms2 and then run 3 ignition drivers out of it to the 6 channel ignitor and will wire it so the 6 coils fire in waste spark and get rid of the ford modules. the ford modules are not capable of the rev limit i intend to run and also this should clean up the signal to the ms2 and resolve the loss of ignition signal problem. i have extra crank sensors to try if it still persists after this which i doubt it will.

it is loosing the ign signal like i thought earlier. just checked the new log. the duty cycle and rpm both hit 0 together at the same exact time and afr was 11.4 when it did it and timing was 21.9 at 176kpa and was at 4k rpm. so something is up for sure. idk what is going on with it. it happens at a higher rpm and boost now. so idk why adjusting the maps would change this. anyone got any tips. i need to lean the fuel back out now but i need to get this ign signal issue fixed first. the log and msq are here

http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=35557&p=215674#p215674

im wondering if the issue i was having back in feb with this hapeneing at 5600 rpm was the same issue, just loosing the rpm sig.

If you are running on pump gas, 11.5~ is where you want to stay. Leaning it out to 12.5~ can be pretty dangerous. I just fudged up my back 3 cylinders running those AFR's.

Double check all your grounds too if you are still getting resets. I recently had a reset problem due to a bad ground clamp on my battery.

Good luck!

actually i have everything at 12:1 now on pump gas. as for grounds, they are all good. i have 2 4awg from the head to body. 1 from block to neg terminal and 1 from body to neg terminal. and all the ms2 grounds are bolted to the body near the battery. not getting resets. im now just loosing the ign signal. if you look at the logs the ign drops to 0rpm even when i leave it in gear to slow down. idk if its the sensor or the edis modules. ive swapped edis modules and same issue. sensor and same as well. so im guessing its due to the length of wiring for the crank sensor to the edis and from edis to the ecu and back.

as i said i have the correct totyota 6 channel ignitor so plan to rework the inside of the ms2 for 3 ign drivers and run the crank signal direct to the ms2. itll clean up the engine bay some more and will be able to run a higher redline. with the new engine i plan to run to 8k rpm's with cams and full headwork etc... and if i still have a problem after that itll be easier to track down. its very intermitent.

• 2 months later...

Your spark issue is caused by not understanding how the EDIS system works.

You only need one EDIS module. You only need one EDIS coil pack. The practical rev-limit on the EDIS-6 module is 8,400RPM. There isn't really a confirmed rev-limit, because there are some modules that have been run up to 12,000RPM with no issues, and some quit above 8400RPM.