HybridZ

nitrous q's 3.1

stephen87

so, i'm looking at another z, and i'm thinking about building a 3.1 with a good set of forged flat tops. and a decent set of rods. (vague i know) some where in the ball park of 11:1 cr, as far as fuel, it would be tripple 45 dcoe's..

so what i'm wondering, assuming the bottom end is strong enough, and it has a good MLS head gasket, and good bolts that won't allow the head to lift, would a 200 wet shot out of a direct port kit be un reasonable?

i have a fair amont of experiance with nitrous, but it's mainly been with fox body mustangs and my bbc camaro..

i have searched on this site, and most of the nitrous questions are from people asking if a 75-100 shot will grenade their engines.

basicly what i want out of the car is somewhere near 275-300 crank hp, n/a. and shoot 200 on top of that. and most of the 500 hp L series i have seen have been turbo'd and i'm really not wanting to go that route. i like the scream of a n/a z car with triple side draft's and it's a much cleaner look to me.

has this been done?

please save the "drive train will not take it, trans won't take it yadda yadda yadda" responces. i'm more interested in hearing about the capeabilty's of a forged piston stroker.

this has nothing to do with what i'm looking to spend.. let's stay on topic.

here, let me make it simple.. will a balanced 3.1, with forged pistons, and shot peened/race prepped 2.4 9mm bolt rods. arp head studs and a good mls head gasket handle a 200 hit, assuming a/f ratio is right?

again, i searched, most of my results were newbs asking if their wore out 280zx would grenade on a 100 shot.

My first serious L series six was an all JY parts 3 liter with 100k core motor VG30det pistons and a cleaned up N33 head and a MSA header. The motor with 10 to 1 compression survived 80 10lb bottles of N20 over a year with no ill results, this was a NOS port nitrous kit and a 120rwh shot. It worked great and netted a 12.55@110 with crappy Bosch CIS injection on California 91 oct.

The second motor was a "built" 3 liter with forged VG30det pistons (87.25mm) , aftermarket cunningham rods and a small and mild T4 turbo, with the same nitrous kit. However the 120rwh shot turned into an over 200rwh shot on the non intercooled (alcohol, water injection) and this was the best result.

What I would suggest is using a smaller bore than the 89mm from the 3.1 and using a maxium of 88mm using a VG30 style piston as the nitrous will cause a thin wall cylinder bore to distort in a similar manner to large boost. The stock prepped 240z 9mm prepped rods should be fine provided ARP bolts are used. Using the sidedrafts a port nitrous kit is a given, here is a pic of the hard lines on my N42 manifold.

n202g.jpg

What I see as the problem, provided the motor is built like you stated is not the motor holding up but grenading transmissions and clutches and finding drivetrain weakness. Personally, I think it would be a very cool build , provided all of the safety measures for the nitrous are in place.

but why stop at the factory rods with aftermarket bolts? why not upgrade them too, just to be safe, and have the crank checked for clearances on the new rods, and put some new bearings and rings.

that way it's FULLY built, and not just the pistons.

as far as drivetrain, i don't care about replacing 50 dollar junk yard transes, and i'm sure i will eventually do the ka trans. and i've seen pics of big block z car's toting the tires on an r200 with the right axles..

carless, i'm not opposed to good rods, but i've heard from a couple of guys, given the right rod bolts, and provided they are race prepped, L series rods will hold up to a pretty big beating (100 hp per hole, so i'm told) so if i don't have to shell out the extra 900 dollars for rods, i'd rather not