HybridZ

rebuilding a Trust/Greddy wastegate

rossman

I have a used Trust 50mm wastegate that I think needs to be rebuilt.

The diaphragm looks to be in good shape but the valve as some radial play in the valve guide. The valve guide looks simple to replace but I can't find anyone on the web who sells parts for it (besides diaphragms and springs). What type of material do they use for this application? Is it worth trying to have it rebuilt or should I just get a new one?

Nobody?

I took it to a local shop and he is going to try to match up a valve guide for it. The bushing in it is a goldish color so I'm thinking it's bronze similar to engine valve guides. I'm not sure how this is going to hold up in this non-lubricated high temperature environment.

• 5 months later...

I think so, but it's not running yet so I don't know for sure. The shop made a custom aluminum bronze bushing for it. It feels like a nice tight fit. I can wobble the valve ever so slightly in the bushing. As I understand it, there is a sweet spot for the valve stem to guide bushing clearance. Too much and it will leak, too little and it will bind. I believe the right numbers are .003 - .006 clearance.