HybridZ

What tranny?

Beau M

Help, my brain is full! I have been doing a ton of research (and very little actual work) on my swap into my 280z 2+2. I cannot be trusted to pick out my own parts, as I just bought a re-built 302 on CL. Turns out its from an 86, which no one has anything good to say about. It was rebuilt and came with a nice carb and intake though. Now I need to find a tranny, I want a 5-speed. What exactly am I looking for? Any years or part numbers I need to steer clear of? Thanks.

-Beau

engine9.jpg

engine4.jpg

If possible, you want to get rid of those heads (E6's) and get a pair of E7's from an 87-95 motor (Stang), or better yet, hit your local pick/pull and get a set of GT40/GT40P irons from an Explorer or Mountaineer. The GT40's came on 96 and very early 97's; the GT40P's came on the rest of the 97's-01. Also, the 86 pistons have no valve reliefs (true flat tops) - so piston to valve clearance is a potential issue with almost any aftermarket camshaft --- if you change the heads (and you'll want to) - be sure to measure p to v clearance.

The T5 transmission out of any 85-95 V8 Stang is what you want. Don't get the 4-cylinder version. And if you're willing to buy new (most used T5's behind the V8's are long in tooth, no pun) get the T5-Z which has the first 4 gears a bit closer in ratio and 5th gear more overdriven. The stock T5 is 3.35, 1.94, 1.29, 1.00, .675; the T5-Z is 2.95, 1.94, 1.34, 1.00, .625.

Yeah, I read all about how crappy my heads and pistone are, live and learn I guess. As far as trannies go, I also read that the 94-95 have a longer input shaft. Will this affect anything? Is the extra lenght made up with a longer bell housing? I wish the t-5's were a dime a dozen, I can't seem to find any here in Seattle. I was hoping to spend around 300 on a tranny.. doesn't look like that will happen.

If possible, you want to get rid of those heads (E6's) and get a pair of E7's from an 87-95 motor (Stang), or better yet, hit your local pick/pull and get a set of GT40/GT40P irons from an Explorer or Mountaineer. The GT40's came on 96 and very early 97's; the GT40P's came on the rest of the 97's-01. Also, the 86 pistons have no valve reliefs (true flat tops) - so piston to valve clearance is a potential issue with almost any aftermarket camshaft --- if you change the heads (and you'll want to) - be sure to measure p to v clearance.

The T5 transmission out of any 85-95 V8 Stang is what you want. Don't get the 4-cylinder version. And if you're willing to buy new (most used T5's behind the V8's are long in tooth, no pun) get the T5-Z which has the first 4 gears a bit closer in ratio and 5th gear more overdriven. The stock T5 is 3.35, 1.94, 1.29, 1.00, .675; the T5-Z is 2.95, 1.94, 1.34, 1.00, .625.

Thanks Mike Im not ford guy and i was not sure of the years for the transmission. I know the T-5 and its variants have been around quite some time.

• 1 month later...

I'm new to hybridz so be nice to me. I just purchased a Tomahawk conversion on a '73 Z with no engine or trans. Did some research and decided to go SBF and a 5 speed. Picked up a rebuilt warmed over '90 5.0 with GT40P heads. I'm leaning towards a T5 world class or T3550. Still need to figure the shifter position. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

I think when your picking transmission you'll need to look at two things.

1. First things first. That is your price range. What can you afford.

2. What's your torque goal? If you only want a mild sbf and a t5 can handle it then go that route. If you need more then go tremec.