HybridZ

"cancer"... how bad? how to fix?

i searched and found a thread where a guy is making new subframes and floorboards. is that what i'm going to have to do?

check out the damage below and tell me if there's a source for replacement floorboards/subframes. i have minor welding skills.

100_1688.jpg?t=1246516116

100_1692.jpg?t=1246516179

i have other parts but these are the worst. looks like the whole drivers side just over the rear wheel has been caved in. that's rusting and i have some pretty bad rust on the rear hatch lid. i didn't get pictures of that but it's "push-your-thumb-through-it" bad.

Judging by the appearance of that rail I would plan to replace both of them. And dont be surprised if the floors need to be changed as well...cancer has a habit of spreading. Once you start poking around you will quickly determine the extent og the rust.

Are those large wrinkles in the floor? Has the car been in an accident?

i searched and found a thread where a guy is making new subframes and floorboards. is that what i'm going to have to do?

check out the damage below and tell me if there's a source for replacement floorboards/subframes. i have minor welding skills.

• 8 months later...

If you do it yourself, your looking at a fraction of the cost to do it, but a ton of time consuming work. Just body rust repair is very time consuming on it's own even if there isn't any places where it needs to be cut, but it's deep enough to where you have to grind and sand for a long while. I've been working on body rust on mine for 2 months now, with about 2-4 times a week i can get at it for about 2-5 hours each time. I am a beginner, but either way its still a great amount of time work and energy required. If you plan to do this, sincerely plan ahead of time and work out the prices with a bit of leniency towards more $$ costs than expected. Do not attempt to weld if your skills are beginner, practice and practice till they are good welds then you can tackle the job on if you have enough skill and time to do it.

Hope that helps some.