HybridZ

4..6/5.4 dohc swap

texas hammer

Ok I've seached and searched they say its been done and a tight fit but who has a picture of that swap or any more info than the 4.6/5.4 are wide. I know that but what does it really take to do this. I'm not scared to cut up my car but I like it the way it is not really it has no engine/trans. I can get these cheap/like free.

Ok I've seached and searched they say its been done and a tight fit but who has a picture of that swap or any more info than the 4.6/5.4 are wide. I know that but what does it really take to do this. I'm not scared to cut up my car but I like it the way it is not really it has no engine/trans. I can get these cheap/like free.

There is a picture floating around somewhere of a convertible Z with a 4.6 DOHC (I think) installed and it was a very tight fit!

But to install one into the Z - lets think............

image-196-2076-ford_motor_company_2003_lincoln_navigator_54l_dohc_4v_engine_assembly_photo.jpg

This is apparently how it relates to the Windsor, which is sort of helpful!

114094_6v351vFE.gif

And this is the sizes of the different Modular Engines!

enginef.gif

Engine

"A"

"B"

"C"

4.6L SOHC Mustang Intake

23 5/8"

5.4L SOHC F-Series Intake

28 "

23 5/8"

4.6L DOHC Cobra Intake

27 1/8"

23 5/8"

26 5/8"

4.6L DOHC Sullivan Intake

27 3/4"

23 5/8

26 5/8"

5.4L DOHC Navigator Intake

35 1/2"

23 5/8"

28 1/4"

5.4L DOHC Sullivan Intake

28 1/2"

23 5/8"

28 1/4"

6.8L SOHC V-10 Van Intake

28 1/2"

27 1/8"

Looks like the widest of the modular engines is approximately 720mm wide, which should actually easily fit between the strut towers!

The engine pic I posted above is from a Lincoln Navigator (whatever that is) and it appears to have a rear mounted sump, so thats a start!

The below pics shows some engine mounts on a Modular engine, based on this pic you have a lot of capacity to move the engine mounts forward and backwards - you could copy or do something very similar to the Jag's That Run Engine Mounts I would think!

MotorMount2_resized.jpg

And of course these engines have T56's stuck behind them, so mounting the gearbox shouldn't be that difficult - there is lots of information floating around this board about mounting that particular gearbox into the Z!

Mounting the engine and gearbox should be pretty straight forward if you weld, then you will have all the other bits and pieces to worry about, but there would be lots of information floating around on Ford Forums about wiring, cooling, etc, etc, etc for these engines that you could use for this conversion!

If you can grab the motors cheap, grab one and try fitting it, I don't think you are going to move forward with this engine conversion any other way as I don't think anyone of this forum has done this particular swap - and based on just those pics I found above, honestly dosen't look like it would be that tricky to slap one of these motors into the Z!

Except the modular engines are finally becoming an affordable platform, while big block build costs still soar.

I've found the thread with pics several times now, let me see if I can find it again. IIRC he used the DOHC 4.6 from a Lincoln, meaning it was 100% aluminum, and fairly light, just really big.

TADA!!!

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=112543

I honestly found it easily by searching "aluminum boat anchor" since there was some jokes in there regarding the weight of the engine.

I'm a fan of the mod engine. There's some guys out there that have proved you don't need a ton of money to make decent power, just a little bit of ingenuity and the time dedicated to wrenching on your own car. Those DOHC Lincoln heads have a lot of potential too.

I got the engine out of the u pull it yard for $165 plus tax, out of a mark 1993 viii lincoln with 128k miles on it. I have a t45 from craigslist for $50 (the guy had it rebuilt but the shop forgot to put oil back in it). It should be just fine for fitment purposes. The 260z I got off craigslist for $80, no engine, no transmision, no title, rusty but most of it is superficial. It took me a while to get the title reinstated. There are other issues holding me back... like my shop is an old corral that is falling apart. But I have managed to get an initial fit. The main problems are the exhaust vs steering shaft and the oil filter and pressure sending unit vs the steering rack. It looks like the remote oil change kits will solve that. The hood latch will have to be relocated. etc etc etc. Here are some pics of the first fesiblity fit.

P5210143_thumb.jpg

P5210148_thumb.jpg

P5210150_thumb.jpg

P5230153_thumb.jpg

The fit is close less then 2 inches on each side when centered and is very tall with about 1/2" between the hood and the front top metal water tube with the engine resting on the cross member (that should be better when the oil filter adapter is in place) . The 5.4 will be obviously even tighter.

We are going shopping soon to got tons of parts 3-351's the 4.6 dohc and a 5.4 oh lets not forget the 460 efi in the one ton. gotta love when they crush I get to go shopping on the cheap. We dont know the condition of any of them. Plus he wants the probe to fix his he got cheap.

• 8 months later...

The fit is close less then 2 inches on each side when centered and is very tall with about 1/2" between the hood and the front top metal water tube with the engine resting on the cross member (that should be better when the oil filter adapter is in place) . The 5.4 will be obviously even tighter.

progress report??

280zx's are about 1.5" wider, should give .75 on each side more.