HybridZ

why I get grumpy at times

grumpyvette

heres why I sometimes get GRUMPY!

guys that ask you long detailed questions about the correct component to use in their engine or drive train build , who then they go and buy the cheapest piece of crap used component they can find at a swap meet, with zero idea as to the condition or its original source or year of production, who buy parts that bear no resemblance at all to the suggested parts, and then who call you back to complain that the part won,t work,or bolt into their car, asking you what to do now?

example

one of my neighbors buys a mustang with a busted rear differential, I give him the length, part number and cars the correct interchangeable 9" ford rear differential came in, a picture of the rear differential,its measurements,the years it was made and the address of several local salvage yards, he comes back with a 8.8" rear from some pick-up truck and wants me to install it, for him, (its NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN)

its not that I don,t want to help, but he put zero effort into finding compatible parts so I don,t feel all that inclined to help if hes not willing to at least buy the correct parts

http://dfwmotorsport.com/Fairlane/9inchrearends.htm

Edited by grumpyvette

lol, guy at the junkyard probably told him is was stronger, coming from a truck and going into a car.

when I work one someones car where parts are required i use scare tactics, to make sure they buy a new part, or buy the best replacement, but when you go on about the pro's and con's of different parts from different manufactures, most people will just wright a blank check to shut you up.

I find that it saves a lot of grief just to refuse to work another people's cars. Grumpy, you didn't mention that when you help someone like he describes, they think your free labor includes a lifetime warranty.

oh yeah!

Ive had one guy come back after 70K miles with an engine I did a valve job on,( a 1970 caddy) that already had 80k on the engine and tell me that the valve seals seem to be defective, and when I pull the valve cover its obvious the last oil change he did was years ago, who wanted free repair work, I usually tell people like that the heads are shot after 120K-150K miles and the cost of new heads is cheaper than repairing the old ones

they usually leave,but the strange thing is they usually come back begging me to do the work even when I name some silly inflated price, simply because everyone else is pricing the job into the stratosphere, when the cars worth maybe $1500 you can,t expect the guy to pay 2K for a valve job and I see that quoted