HybridZ

If I lengthen front control arms, will I run out of tie rod threads?

I was considering lengthening, or relocating the front control arms on my buget race car project for grassroots motorsports magazine to increase camber. Here is a link to the project car: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=149772

But I was thinking, will I run out of threads on the steering linkages when the toe is corrected?

What is the max I can get away with and have a margine of safety? Keep in mind i have almost nothing lefit in my alloted budget! heh heh.

I was thinking of getting a total of at least 2 degrees more than what i have now. How much do i need to add to the front control arms or move them, to gain this camber change?

Right now i have about 1/2 to 1 degree of negitive camber. The car is lowered 1 inch or so, and I slotted the strut towers, but the stock, un-modified, strut mounts are hitting the edges.

I am doing this in combination with shaving the upper strut mounts, i hear this will increase the amount of slotting i can do on the strut towers.

What is the best way to accomplish this? what type of steel should i use? does anyone have pictures?

thank you!

I read that link. thanks.

I still am in the dark as to how far i can extend the control arms safely. I don't have an alignment rack, so i want to make sure i do it right the first time! if anyone has done this extending with stock setup, and was still safe with the threads can you please let me know how much you extended? thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I thought i would let you know, the camber trick worked so far.

moved the inner lca hole out 1/2" and welded the other hole shut. after adjusting the toe, we had definitly had well over 1/2" of thread left on the inner tie rods. i dont remember exactly. With the car lowered about 1.5" we got 2 degrees of negitive camber.

100_6202.jpg

100_6203.jpg

100_6207.jpg