HybridZ

Wheel Heights

So I'm going to be buying tires in the near future (finally), and I've got 15" rims, and I know they're at least a good 8" wide, if not 8.5". I haven't had a tire off to be 100% certain. My measurements from lip to lip through the spokes look right about 9".

So I figured I could go a little wider than the 205 on there, and figured 225 would be safe enough as far as clearance goes. But the right wheel height is hard to find for that combo on a 15" rim.

225/50/15 seems easy enough to go with, but that gives me a wheel height of 23.9". Is that too small? I know there's a bit of discussion on the boards that you don't want to go to big, and I did some basic searching and couldn't come up with much. It seems most of the stock wheel heights were around 24.5 or around there. I'm not going to throw anything too far off by running an inch or so shorter wheel than most around here am I?

A 225/50/15 tire has been eluded to by many to be an excellent sized combo for our z's. I believe some of the racers here (John C. and others) have mentioned that size being near optimal accross the broadest range of uses for Z's. I'm talking in general terms street/track use. I have run that size tire, and the look matches the handling. A nice ride height drop, a bit more mechanical advantage (smaller dia) Excellent contact patch etc.

This doesn't neccessarily apply to high hp turbo's, v8's or other EXTREME Z's.

BTW an 8" rim is perfectly suited to this width of tire.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. My car will be a street driven toy car. Sure I'm running a turbo, but I'll never be shooting for TimZ type numbers. When I eventually Go V8 I'll be doing wider wheels + bigger brakes anyways.

So I guess I'll be going with the 225/50/15 then. Again, thanks a ton!

I mean no disrespect or anything to the posters, but I was asking for an opinion on running that wheel height, not a calculator to show me what the wheel height is and what it will do to my speedo (which I don't even have). Thanks for the links though.