HybridZ

Engine Could Be Toast

240zBoy

So I pretty much took this car out of a guys yard after he let it sit for 7 years. The major problem was the fuel pump and lines and a couple other things but anyways. I finally got this thing to turn over and get into idle but when I try to adjust the idle it dies, when I put the choke down it dies, when I tap the gas it dies, even after letting it run for a good couple minutes to warm up it still dies. Is the engine no good cause that's all I can come to conclusion with.

If so atleast I have an excuse to drop in a v8.:cool:

Well I just flushed the fuel tank and purchased a working fuel pump and replaced the lines that I figured needed it. Not to mention I know the fuel gets to the engine cause someone put little shucks glass filters right before that I had to remove due to a leak and replace with a solid hose.

I second zdiggs. The motor is probably fine, but if you want to check then do a compression test. But if you were able to turn it over and start it right up after 7 years it probably wasn't rusted in the cylinders. After sitting for 7 years, the carbs will be full of gunk, which will be clogging jets and orifices and floats. The dampening fluid may be gone from them as well, which can definitely make the car die when you give it gas.And all of the vacuum lines will be suspect. And the vacuum advance as well as the centrifugal advance may be sticky in the distributor too. My guess is that you need to spend a couple well informed hours going through the car to clean up these little details and it will run just fine.

The dampening fluid may be gone from them as well, which can definitely make the car die when you give it gas.And all of the vacuum lines will be suspect.

Ka-ching!!!!

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?p=965695

A little bit of reading on how the SU carburetors work and you will be amazed at how well a car can run on a pair of sideways toilet tank carburetors. There is a super-cool feeling involved in getting those two carbs feeding the engine the right gas... it is integral to the Z experience to me. But I'm waxing philosophical, which usually means they've let me stay out too late........:nono: