HybridZ

11.5:1 RC on L28E

You might get away with that if you have a larger cam, make sure it's not running lean and run close to stock ignition timing. Hot air temps can also cause detonation. Typically, 10.5:1 is all I've seen safely run on our 91 octane here, so 11:1 would be pushing it on 93. I guess 93 with a little octane booster make it safe. The piston rings are the things that will take a beating. Always the issue of head gasket longevity with that kind of compression, as well. Good luck.

Avoid using the L Engine Calculator. Its for entertainment purposes only. It doesnt mention all the parts, testing and tuning that go into a high compression engine. That little piece of software is fun, but a worthless tool while building an engine.

As for the head gasket, I've never used anything but Felpro and have not ever had a failure, so I'm not saying OEM is any better. You can also run a copper head gasket shim and lower the compression down a little more.

As for compression ratios, a turbo engine is best suited to be between 8:1 and 9.5:1, depending on boost levels and desired characteristics.

The highest you typically want to go on any NA street motor would be 10-10.5:1 range.

It's interesting, as a turbo motor running 15 psi is actually running 16:1 compression under that boost and can run on pump gas. You could never run that with a NA motor. Different rules for different setups. Hope that helps.

Savage, I think what he's asking is if the AFR for a high comp motor should stay about the same as for a turbo motor, and the answer is every motor is different, but way richer than the stock curves would definitely be best and help knock, especially in hot Mexican summers so 11.0 would probably be a pretty good place to start and tune to.