HybridZ

Cam Scouring, What do you guys think

280zjoel

I decided to reposition my CAS on my SR20( off one tooth:ugg:) and when I took off the valve cover i noticed that my cams look a little rough. As you can see from the pics they look scoured a bit. I'm going to have to pull off the oil squirters and clean them out( prolly dirty or clogged) but my question is, Do you guys think it will be ok to run them or should i clean them up with some fine sand paper? Im not a big fan of sanding them, but any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks

zcam1_thumb.JPG

zcam2_thumb.JPG

zcam3_thumb.JPG

zcam4_thumb.JPG

first, rub them down with #0000 Fine steel wool. it will remove any trace surface rust on the lobes or any small scratches.

Then if they look pitted, take them to a crankshaft grinder and ask them to micro-polish the lobes if they are willing to do so.

If all goes bad, Upgrade time!

• 2 months later...
to be honest that doesn't look too terrible. they look more like heat marks.

Yup, that's kinda odd, but I would run them. Scrape your fingernail across them (perpendicular to the motion of travel). If you cannot feel anything, run it. I'd probably put some ZDDP additive in the first oil change, however.

Mark