HybridZ

ROLL CAGE

Guest nosz350

Bobby,

My pics are to numerous to send you here, but you can see some of the work at http://photos.yahoo.com/dat74z I have a 21 point unit I'm constructing and installing as I go. I highly recommend that you weld the unit in, and if you can afford to go with Chromo, it is stiffer, and you can get away with smaller diameter tubing.

Mike icon_cool.gif

[ July 07, 2001: Message edited by: Mikelly ]

[ July 07, 2001: Message edited by: Mikelly ]

Mike, do you mean smaller diameter or thinner wall thickness? I think the issue is that since the material is stronger, you can use a thinner wall thickness. Smaller diameter would make the tubing less stiff, not sure I'd want to do that.

[ July 06, 2001: Message edited by: pparaska ]

Guest Anonymous

Who sell bolt in cages for a ZX? I haven't really looked, just assumed that it it wasn't for a mustang or camaro that you had to make your own.

Guest Anonymous

hey good question there davo, i've been looking around a little too but haven't found anything that i would want to run.

Do any you other guys out there know where me and davo can find some nice quality units? or is it make it yourself like he said?

Actually Both. What I've learned from several Chassis fabricators who I I've chatted with recently is that they ussually will go with a smaller tubing diameter as well, like a 1.5 inch tubing, but go up in wall thickness, but only slightly. I have had one of the local fabricators come out to my house and inspect my work, and other than a few tubes that needed to be re-welded because of the other issues with the older welder, everything I have done to date has checked out OK. However, he did comment that had I been able to use Cromo, it would have been much easier to route tubes that are smaller diameter. This was also news to me Pete! I always thought that with cromo tubing you would use thinner wall tubing and the same (Normally 1 3/4 or 1 5/8 tubing) size tubing.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

What Mike said is true, remember chromemoly is expensive though, and probably overkill for street driven Z's, for higher speed lighter weight applications its definitely a plus in terms of strength. A mild steel 8-10 point cage is probably sufficient for most street applications IMHO.

Regards,

Lone