HybridZ

240Z front bumper fiberglass molds

Phlebmaster

I have been working on making 240Z front bumper fiberglass molds. I need to know a few things. I am a total newb at this so please bear with me. This may turn out to be a very good thing for those who want a fiberglass bumper. :wink:

1. What foam should I use to fill the mold with that is not too difficult to work with?

2. What do I line the mold with to keep the foam from sticking and getting wrinkles while setting up?

3. Do I need to do anything to protect the foam from the fiberglass resin?

Here is that I have so far.....

This is my first attempt, but I only had twine to wrap the molding material with so I got bumps. :(

29fscox.jpg

hvtsgl.jpg

Here is my second attempt...much better. No bumpies on the bumper. :)

idzwqf.jpg

154x8g0.jpg

Here are the two molds and my template...

2ikpj4p.jpg

Please help me with what to do next, I want to do this right.

Thanks!! :D

I have done some more reading and I think I will practice using the silicone sealant as a backing inside the mold so the foam won't stick to it.

axxu6o.jpg

I may also use this on the foam, this should keep the end fiberglass product looking as smooth as possible and should release much better than anything else.

I will try coating the mold that has the ridges first (my first attempt) to see if I can get that to work. Then go for the good one if that all works out. :D More updates to follow.

Hmmm... When i made my foam structure for my hoodscoop i glued the foam together with silicon... IDK how the fiberglass would react with it, but just gluing my foam together with it worked great, and i had no reactions that i noticed. The foam stuck to the hood good with silicon also

Hmmm... When i made my foam structure for my hoodscoop i glued the foam together with silicon... IDK how the fiberglass would react with it, but just gluing my foam together with it worked great, and i had no reactions that i noticed. The foam stuck to the hood good with silicon also

That is some good input, I appreciate your time. Thank you! :D

I plan on using the foam as a positive mold for the fiberglass. I am new at this so I will keep updating this thread as I move forward.

Progress......

I had some copper sheeting, so I lined the fiberglass mold I made with it so I can put carnuba wax and releasing agent inside of the mold. This will help keep the resin from sticking.

I plan on making one positive mold as well out of foam to see which way comes out better.

Here are the steps I took......

29610qr.jpg

3465284.jpg

af8wzo.jpg

This copper should make the fiberglass super smooth..

28hcv3s.jpg

Here is the fiberglass mold I made before I lined it with silicone sealant and copper. I coated the entire inner surface with silicone before placing the copper inside.

2efhw5c.jpg

117h06d.jpg

I used the fiberglass bumper Paul gave me as a template and pressed the mold with it.

2dgn5uo.jpg

16kclti.jpg

23m7dxl.jpg

2irayrr.jpg

205tk52.jpg

Aaron,

Why not just use stock bumpers to make a mold from. Mold release wax will prevent them from sticking to the resin.

Here is a thread I started when I was making some molds from BSR parts:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=132218&highlight=makin%27+molds

Nice thread! I just read through it all. Thanks for the link, that info will prove helpful. :D

I am realizing that this is not a quick project at all. :D I also feel that I am over thinking my process.

I have a copy mold of the original part done and it is made out of FG. At this point I just really need to slow down and think about my process a bit and do some more reading before I ruin the mold I made or my original part.

I am going to make one, but not unless I do more research first and maybe even find someone who is willing to mentor me with a hands on tutorial. :cool: