HybridZ

Battery box

Guest nezzie76

Guest nezzie76

I need it sealed because it will be sitting in the trunk ( Velo Rossa Body Kit) and it would be nice if I could lock it too for added security. The body kit covers most of the battery in the stock position and is really hard to get at.

Nathan

"I need it sealed because it will be sitting in the trunk"

Doesn't matter where it's located if it's an optima, no outgassing to be concerned with and a very tough casing/construction. Mine's right behind my pass. seat(280ZX) in toolwell almost flush with rear deck and my fathers is flush with his rear deck(240Z)in his toolwell behind pass. seat.

FWIW, mid car can be favourable over rear of car if you desire nimbler handling vs. max. ass-end weight.

"I have an optima also for that reason...but does that fly with tech at the track or does it still have to be in a box???? "

Good question, for my lapping day events at Seattle International Raceway and Thunderhill it's never been a problem. They had a good rule at Thill/Mt. Shasta (perhaps a common one), to have your battery posts covered. I have side mounted solder on lugs with header bolts going into my battery so 6 layers of duct tape on the ends themselves satisfied them. Autox's it's never been an issue. IMO the tech's check more seriously to see that it's very solidly mounted when it's an internal battery...I keep thinking one of those big lugs (tech inspectors) might just rip it out one of these times as they lean down full body weight etc.....

icon_rolleyes.gif

I have the expensive sealed AL one that Summit Racing sells:

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=%2Fproduct%2Easp%3Fd%3D11%26s%3D14%26p%3D2083%26searchtype%3Decat

(I got the smaller unpolished one. Still quite pricey. Actually, my dad bought it as a present!)

I wanted something sealed, and this was all I could find that also met NHRA requirements if the battery was in the compartment. Wish I had a TIG and could use it!

Pete, a bud's race car took a big hit and the Optima was seriously dented. Out of curiousity they touched both terminals with booster cables (same wire) and it spotwelded an end;^) Durable and keeps on ticking it seems. I've killed mine to nothing innumerable times with dead alts etc and it's alwasy come back nicely. Good point about flying objects though.....I might add some more bracing to mine, although being right behind a seat and sunken it doesn't have much of a runway.

Does anyone know if NHRA will accept an Optima gell-cell mounted within the cockpit when NOT placed in a sealed box??

BTW anytime a battery is relocated anywhere (especially within the cockpit), you really should have it bolted down to either the frame itself or a welded extension from the frame. NHRA requires this, and for good reason. Think about a 50 pound projectile upside your head at around 70+mph. Ichabod Crane comes to mind.

Stay safe folks icon_smile.gif

Jason

Nathan -

How do you like your Velo Rossa kit? That kit is the reason I bought a Z this year. I saw an ad for the Velo Rossa in a kit car mag and decided I have to have one. I visited John Washington in his shop last year and was impressed with what I learned.

My '71 is being torn-down, refurbished and V8'ed before I have my kit delivered. I'd love to hear more about your experience with the kit and maybe even sneak down to Eugene and bother you for a 'tour' of your car. icon_biggrin.gif

-Marc