HybridZ

Do I need these bits, or are they smog?

Negafen

There are 6 bits I have to ask about.

I'm not sure what the green circled parts are, here are my best guesses

1 Vacuum Controller.

3 Throttle Opener

4 Servo Diaphragm

6 Empty spot that SHOULD have an EGR according to diagrams?

Do I need any of these? Do I not need any? what should I do with the holes for things I don't need?

I realize my air cleaner is currently removed, it just makes stuff easier to get at.

As for 2 and 5. I'm trying to get them out, but they are very very stuck, and I can't move them without bending the manifold. Am I missing something here? ATF + Acetone hasn't gotten them to budge, nor has a torch. Is there an elegant solution to get them out?

Bonus Question: Can I get the heat shield stuck behind the carbs off without taking the carbs out?

Edit: It's a 1971 240z, thanks for reminding me to post this Jeff.

IMG_1022_thumb.jpg

1. is the distributor Vacuum advance and not only do you not want to remove it(google it's function and you will see why) but it is also hooked up incorrectly. Connect the rubber vacuum hose somewhere on the balance tube. I recently did this and notice quicker revs and more power.

Bonus: You can remove the heat shield without taking the carbs off BUT it will cause the carbs to heat up more and that will hurt performance.

There are a number of threads that will tell you what you can remove that is smog related so please search.

Thanks, I just wanted to get the shield off to powdercoat it. I'm not planning to leave it off.

I suspect many things are hooked up incorrectly, and I'm slowly working my way through them.

So, take it off where it's hooked to the carb, and plug it into the balance tube? I suppose that can help me with one of my little holes.

The heat shield should have 3 or 4 bolts(10mm I think) that need to be removed and then it should come off.

Yes, "unplug" it from the carb and plug it to the balance tube.

ALSO, it is very helpful to inclued the year of you Z when asking for help. Do you have a factory service manual?

It looks like you're running the stock air-injected exhaust manifold, if so #2 is connected to the air-injection manifold. YOu could remove the entire big tube above the intake.

#5 would probably be easier just to plug it with a rubber plug. If not it'll run really rough.

IMO, a manual would be a big help for you.

#3 &4 are part of the same high idle circuit.

1 is connected to the carb

3 is going to 4 and to the balance tube.

Should 1 go to the spot on the balance tube 3 is currently going? and should 3 go to the carb where 1 is going?

Did those get switched by the PO?