HybridZ

Which way does the coolant flow on an LS motor?

When looking at the front of an lsx block where the water pump mounts, there is a round hole on top and a rectangular hole on bottom (a pair of these holes on each side of the block). So, does the coolant come out the right side of the block and back in the left? Or does it come out the round holes and go back in the rectangle ones?

I've done some searching but havent been able to find a solid answer.

Any insight would be helpful...

• Administrators

Sorry about that. I saw the title and... you know.. :wink:

LSx engine have traditional coolant flow, block first, then the heads, and out. The LSx has both the in and out ports in the block, in is low (rectangular port) , out is top (round port), each bank of the engine is separate, merging/diverting in the water pump!

GM LSx coolant flow path;

LSxcoolingflow.jpg

Hope that helps,

Paul

Edited by BRAAP
Typos

i used jtr radiator and found that i needed to pull top radiator hose off to to fill engine and heater core with coolant plus i pulled on heater hose off and filled that to get coolant system full of coolant

other trap i found with coolant system was changing radiator cap to suit gen 111 coolant range which meant going from datsun suitable radiator cap to 19 pound gm suitable cap