HybridZ

Has anyone painted a fuel rail?

You know how the fuel rails have that yellowish-goldish coating to them? Well I'd like to blast off that protective coating and paint them. What experiences have any of you had doing that? What did you use that stuck real well? I need it to be resistant to heat, chips and fuel. I'm thinking of using either engine paint, wheel paint, or caliper paint. Has anyone had any luck with these? I know Eastwood sells stuff but it's pricey.

Thanks!!!!!!

Probably this should be in the paint and bodywork section but...

I would recommend getting it powdercoated. it's sturdy and heat resistant. easy to do on any metal part. tho a fuel rail doesn't often have to worry about too much heat since if it did it would boil the fuel. (260z problem)

Huh, interesting. My last few were alu, and the l24 and l28et really didn't come with fuel rails (the l28et is just steel hard lines... they suck).

If it's steel, powder coating is the way to go for a serious finish, so I'm with Pharoahabq. If they're stainless, you could just polish it and call it a day.

Hi,

Been lurking on Hybrid Z for months...could've posted on a bunch of stuff but didn't so here goes. The metallic yellow/green color is an OEM cadmium/vanadium plating. Eastwood has rattle cans that will replicate this finish and other plating companys can do it too...but why bother ($$$)....unless you're going for a coucours high score or something.

I did a fuel rail on a Jag V12 bead blasted and then used high heat aluminized paint coating. Plug injector /fuel inlets and tape any fuel hose barbs with a couple wraps of black electric tape before bead blasting. Wipe down rail with a tack cloth after blasting. Warm the rail with a propane torch or in oven to liberate moisture and open from the metal then apply light coats. Warming opens the "pores of the metal" so that the aluminized paint will better adhere or so my metalurgical friend tells me. Wait 15-20 mins/light coat. Bake in an oven after 3-4 coats at approx. 200F for 30 mins.

If you really want to go the extra mile use a clear that will make your high heat aluminium last.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

RSC

Edited by rjstcroix
add signature
  • Like 1

Great advice all. I'm not doing the concourse stuff....and it has to be budget minded. There are not allot of places that plate or powdercoat in Colorado. It's going to be a driver. I like the information about baking the rails. I have seen some guys who do their rails and they are always flaking and chipping. Guess I'll be doing that tomorrow. THe rail is blasted, cleaned up and wiped down. Thanks again!

Hi Again,

Should've mentioned that the aluminized paint sells at nearly any hardware store here in Canada so you shouldn't have a problem finding it in the paint dept. of any decent hardware store. Get the high heat stuff.

If you really are particular you can buff the rail to smooth it before paint and then run 000 steel wool lightly over the rail in between fully cured coats of the paint. Then clear coat. Preparation is the key to any good paint finish.

Have fun...post a pic or two when you're done.

Cheers,

RSC