HybridZ

Supercharging 300zx

sfouts

In the never ending search for more power, a potential project has crossed my mind. I am thinking a small whipple charger mounted on top of the VG with a giant hood scoop above it. Maybe the 1.8L or I think they even make a smaller 1.4L unit, but I'm not sure it would flow enough air to be effective. I'm no where near tearing into this yet, but off the top of my head I think the following would be required:

1. Fuel injectors

2. Motor rebuild w/ forged pistons and rods

3. Water/meth injection (intercooling options are limited with this sort of blower)

4. Custom intake manifold

The custom manifold is where I'm stuck and thinking this may be impractical. Does anyone have any thoughts on design and fabrication of a manifold for this application? I have seen pictures of similar setups, but never seen a write-up detailing how this obstacle was overcome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Xterra

2002–2004

Xterra was freshened for 2002 with a redesigned dash and center console, improved powerplant, and front end styling. The 3.3L VG33E V6 was upgraded to 180 hp and a 210 hp supercharged option added. The 2001 Xterra's restyled front end was grafted on to an otherwise unchanged bodywork.

Drop that in with a smaller pulley and call it a day :)

This is for the z32 and the problem with that idea, which I've considered, is that it requires giving up the A/C. I live in New Mexico.. the temps during summer months stay between 80 and 95 daily. This makes A/C kind of a priority. If it means housing the blower under a hood scoop, this is fine. My main question is regarding the manifold and how others have accomplished this build in the past.