HybridZ

Would a SB fit into a VW bug?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Not sure what forum to throw this into but...

Just saw an odd website ( www.renegadehybrids.com ) and was left wondering if a 914 (which I think has for all intensive a purposesly built VW engine) can fit a SBC, then why couldn't a SBC fit into a bug?

I am sure that the VW transaxle would need replaced but a porsche might work right?

Even if it meant that the firewall had to moved it would still be really cool.

I think I have too much time on my hands

Some 914s had 6 cyls, but most are 4 cyls... Putting a SBC v-8 has been done - by Renegade, but they have to move the water pump over to a bracket on the side of the block. There is no more room up front.

I suppose someone has stuffed a SBC the back of a Beetle. Seems like it would be doing wheelies ALL the time.

The aluminium rover v8 3.5-4.6 or leyland 4.4 is the only engine light enough to get reasonable handling in a bug unless you want mid engine. The 914 has rear engine like the bug. The 350 swapkit for the 914 excist and is claimed to work fine with serius suspension mods.

The 914 has rear engine like the bug.

Sorry, Jens; but the 914 was considered a mid-engine car, not rear-engine like the bug--it's engine was in front of the transaxle, right behind the passenger compartment; while the bug's was hanging on for dear life at the rear of the transaxle.

There are about three different companys out there that also put 350 chevs into the 911. This hangs out the back like the vw. They say in the chev in the 911 has the same weight distribution as the standard 911 turbo. It has a higher center of gravity though and the turbo was never known for it cornering anyway.

Douglas

Guest Anonymous

I've seen the rover swap done into a VW, the SBC would fit too, although I can't imagine replacing a sub 200 pound motor with a 500+ lb motor and doing anything wonderful for the handling. You'd also need some sort of turbo porsche transaxle or it'd probably be toast in short order. I'm not sure what the flat 6 weights in a porshe, but for a car that already pushes pretty bad I can't see adding the additional rear weight of a V8, making it handle any better. I know you add radiators up front, maybe that helps a bit but still...

The rover conversion I saw was in a baja type bug (chopped fenders and rear end) and was raised up a bit, but even with that he pulled out and wheeled for a good 50 feet no problem.

The wheels on a bug are back quite far in the rear seat. Since import racing is all the rage, I thought a V-tec (I know honda, but hey this would work...) that had been leaned on within a inch of its life would be REAL cool behind the front seats in a beetle. All that and you get the benefit of good traction and weight distribution. Even cooler put it in a Karma Ghia!

Somtimes a tack hammer is more suitable than a sledge, hell VW's with hot boxer fours have been running 8's and lower for years. icon_wink.gif

Regards,

Lone

Ps: I think the people to contact for an adapter if anyone is serious about a V8 bug is Kennedy Engineering, they do lots of engine adapter plates ....

Here is a 914 v8 conversion

http://home3.inet.tele.dk/box164/html/fischer_part_2.html

I think its very expensive because of the transmission and suspension swap. 911 parts isnt exactly cheap.

A fwd engine with cabel operated transmission/automatic and all fitted in the rear of a bug would be cheaper but not easy to do as a subframe is necessary. like the dubsport vr6 conversions in a golf mk2.

www.dubsport.com

Look also at the twin vr6 turbo golf.

This way brake upgrades in the rear is already done and the weight transfer would be like a mid engine car.