HybridZ

Manifold porting and toyota TB upgrade(pics!) - thoughts/opinions/suggestions

kolonelklink87

Hello Z'ers,

So I just got my manifold bits back from portmatching and wanted to share some pics and get some feedback...

First off i could use a bit of help identifying the manifold - i've used it for ages but it never had a cast mark on it when i got it - the TB mouth is 40x80mm and matches to a sequential twin throttle.

CIMG0426.jpg

CIMG0412.jpg

The TB required an adaptor plate for 60mm TB:

CIMG0416.jpgCIMG0417.jpg

the plenum is nice and...errrr cavitatious :mrgreen:

CIMG0414.jpg

the TB sits on nice an snug now... The TPS is MS friendly of course and there is a idle control solenoid (one circuit to increase idle, one to decrease) on the bottom.

CIMG0427.jpg

finally the ports :

CIMG0424.jpg

CIMG0400.jpg

I havent seen this TB(probably due to the Accel. cable issues) or manifold used much so I wanted to get some opinions and suggestions on identification(i think is maybe a r30 but not sure), application and anything that i can improve or might have missed.

Cheers folks! :D

Did you measure the size of those ports? You did say they were matchported to your head....35mm's?

How far up the runners did you go with the porting? Did you taper them at all?

Has porting the manifold altered its flow characteristics? Would you suggest that porting with flow bench verification be a more 'scientific' approach? I'm not trying to dampen your efforts (and I've hand ported many manifolds myself) but I'm curious as to AFR's when one or several runners now flow better than the others and there is potentially no way in adjusting individual cylinders to correct the differences, unless you have individual injector/cylinder control, EGT's or individual lambda probes in each exhaust header pipe. Sure, the differences may be small but after modification, are they any better, worse or with greater variation than before? Who knows?

Then there's the question of gas velocity? And anti-reversion at the port to manifold junction?

Your thoughts? :)

Did you measure the size of those ports? You did say they were matchported to your head....35mm's?

How far up the runners did you go with the porting? Did you taper them at all?

Has porting the manifold altered its flow characteristics? Would you suggest that porting with flow bench verification be a more 'scientific' approach? I'm not trying to dampen your efforts (and I've hand ported many manifolds myself) but I'm curious as to AFR's when one or several runners now flow better than the others and there is potentially no way in adjusting individual cylinders to correct the differences, unless you have individual injector/cylinder control, EGT's or individual lambda probes in each exhaust header pipe. Sure, the differences may be small but after modification, are they any better, worse or with greater variation than before? Who knows?

Then there's the question of gas velocity? And anti-reversion at the port to manifold junction?

Your thoughts? :)

Yes of course... you know that i always favor the scientific approach! but affordability is a bit of an issue with me so I can't always be as precise as i'd like.

If you're in the area some time soon i'll take it off the car an give you a look - the porting wasnt done by myself but by a local head engineer who claims some experience with Z engines. Ports are tapered and matched to the head-matched gasket and thus the head... which is simularly ported(38mm from PO). My rationale being that for the higher RPM camming of my engine this setup should be superior to the 32mm ports and twin, but small, butterflies.

I'm certainly a big proponent on the small ports on cedrics combination but since the head is already ported I actually thought this might give a good comparison between concepts:icon15:

I still have alot of tuning to do and if nessercary i can throw on a stock XZ manifold if you want to project some G-tech data... but thats a conversation for another time :)

Since quite alot of material has been taken out - i wouldnt have trusted this one to home porting :)

well I was hoping to prompt a bit of discussion about NAPS manifolds but i guess my approach was WAY to subtle :P

So i'll put it more plainly, why is the NAPS manifold so rarely seen on Z engines? - it seems like an improvement over the stock tapered N/A manifold and since the turbo manifolds are rarely avail locally in Aust it seemed the obvious choice... additionally the TB port size is already ~30cm2(80x40mm minus the round edges), much larger than the stock 50mm TB mouth(~20-22cm2 i think?) AND there are no EGR bumps at the base of the runner-plenum interface. The EGR dumps into just behind the TB (see above pics) which could easily be removed with a dremel (i have chosen to leave it on for now).

I still need to tune things in properly but this manifold seems to deliver well into the 6-7k range once the ports are opened up a little. (I'll try to get some flow numbers when I come into some money lol)

How come I so rarely see this used as a serious option on a Z?

(i hope this isnt too annoying of a question but alot of what i've read "poo-poo"'s the NAPS manifolds and I cant see any good reason to. I have read plenty of posts about people considering using NAPS manifolds or dicussing sequential throttling but no real feedback after fitting and tuning. My experience has be wholely positive so far)

Interesting, I have the same manifold (or at least it looks to be the same) as the I bought from a fairlady 280zx.

When I get home tonight I'll look at the numbers on it and tell you them.

I actually really like the look of this manifold to, it is pretty clean and looks like a n42 with webbing.

• 2 weeks later...

(i hope this isnt too annoying of a question but alot of what i've read "poo-poo"'s the NAPS manifolds and I cant see any good reason to. I have read plenty of posts about people considering using NAPS manifolds or dicussing sequential throttling but no real feedback after fitting and tuning. My experience has be wholely positive so far)

Well, I am always interested to read as much information about foreign market intakes and in particular, tandem throttle body setups as I can find. In particular, the twin butterfly TBs with a large secondary and small primary bore setups have always caught my eye.

Regarding the rest of the manifold, it seems to have plenty of advantages to build towards. The thing to bear in mind is that many people select a manifold only thinking "Which manifold is the best?" rather than "Which manifold is going to match my desired power output and economy, when paired with the cylinder head and engine block I am also designing with these purposes in mind?" These people will always poo-poo any manifold that doesn't look the biggest, and have he highest numbers on a flow bench, and the biggest throttle bodies, and the least extra unnecessary junk on it. So they shave their early non-egr N42 manifold and get rid of all the bossses on it and pay some guy to megasquirt it and go all out spending $10-15-20K and wind up with a car that is a glorified weekend warrior, and they hate the way the air conditioning bogs the car down in ONE way at idle (because their is no AC idle-up control) and it bogs the power down ANOTHER way at speed (because the engine doesn't make as much power as it SOUNDS like it does.. but that is harder to notice because A) this fictional driver is dumb and B) without it, it feels and MOST IMPORTANTLY SOUNDS fast enough to fool him. So this guy has a problem, not with the manifold, not with the jerk who built the car for him, but with his AC. That high-flowing, super smooth powder coated manifold, that he spent $5-600 on, man that thing is GREAT.

People == sheep.