HybridZ

distributor

Hi, the 2 pickup distributors were for automatic cars and the single pickup was from a 4/5 speed manual trans car. 1974 and above were electronic and before 1974 they were points type. The points type will not interchange with the electric type. You will need to get the specific one for your car.

Guest Rolling Parts

"should'nt all distributors from the z's be the same...???"

No, several were used. My personal choice is dropping in a 79-80 280ZX unit if I stick with a distributor based ignition system.

My 260z automatic had a distributor with 2 pickups and when I did my 4 speed changeover I took the second timing retard pickup out of the loop. Maybe your Z was an auto trans originally and someone did a 4 speed conversion? I just parted out a 1976 4 speed car and the distributor only had one pickup. Sounds like you will need to get a distributor with 2 pickups as I had an extra wire with my 2 pickup distributor so I couldn't run a 260z 4 speed distributor. Or atleast it was easier for me to keep the original distributor and only use the main pickup out of the 2 pickups. The secondary pickup uses the water temp off of the block to retard timing once the motor reaches operating temp. I think it retards the timing like 7 degrees.

The 2 pickup distributors have an extra wire so the 4 speed distributors are not plug and play. I picked up a 4 speed distributor when I changed out my auto trans to a 4 speed and was hoping to just drop it in but it didn't happen. The connectors were even different.