HybridZ

Have fuel and spark, engine still wont run, need advice.

here is my tank after I pulled it from my '72:

tankX.jpg

Also, if you remove the panels on the inside of the car behind the fill cap, there is some little tank thing above the fill location with fuel lines running to it. I have NO idea what all the fuel lines and that tank are for, but I remember dealing with them when I stripped my car. Start there.

-MIKE

The two that are close together, just to the right of the sending unit, are the pickup and return lines. Blow out the larger of these two. The others are vents.

The easiest thing to do is blow it out from the fuel pump back.

jt

At the fuel pump, disconnect the line coming from the tank to the fuel pump, and blow air from thru the hose back to the tank. Use low pressure, like 10 psi or so, and take the cap off the tank first so it can vent. Put a reusable filter between the pump and carb so you can see how much trash you're getting.

jt

It depends. You want to use just enough pressure to push air thru the hose back into the tank. The canned air may work, or you can just blow on it if you don't have a compressor. If you can hear the air bubble in the tank you're doing what you want.

Do not use the paintball tank. Way too much.

jt

Put about 5 gallons in the tank. There should be lines inside the tank going to the lowest point in the tank where the pick up is. But too little gas is never a good idea, you will pick up all sorts of trash and water from condensation if there is any in the tank.

Personally I would pull the tank even though I know its a PITA. At least you could look inside and see how bad it is. If its salvageable, flush it out and coat it inside with one of those tank refurbishing coats. If its too far gone, replace it. A 30 year old tank could be totally rusted inside and will cause you problems forever.

• 2 weeks later...