HybridZ

VH45 Swap Question

RKLamb123

• 3 weeks later...
Go to your nearest polytechnic or trade school and take some night courses in welding. It's fairly inexpensive, and worth it many many many times over in the future.

+1 It takes practice to get good just like anything else. I would also go to your local book store and buy/read welding books they will help you out also.

Bah, you can download decent instructions (including from Miller, etc.) right off their site. There is plenty of stuff on 'teh interweb' to get you going. Mig is easy; I basically taught myself when I was a teenager. Tig is quite a bit trickier to learn and I taught myself with the help of forums and free teaching articles on the internet. As long as you aren't messing with suspension pieces you will be fine. It won't be the prettiest starting out, but it will get better with time.

Go get a good Miller/Lincoln/Hobart 110V welder with as much amperage as you can find (and afford). Likewise, buy an autodarkening mask (don't waste your time with a fixed mask). Get some piping and thick sheet metal pieces from a home improvement store and just mess with it until you get it down. Find the "weld els" that you will use for your headers and get scrap or test pieces that are similar wall thickness. It isn't hard to learn on your own. For an investment of ~$400 for an entry level setup you will have the ability to fab tons of stuff and have much more self sufficiency. Don't waste your money on an off brand welder. A good one will last a long, long time. That, or find a buddy with a welder that will let you learn on it or show you a few things.

Miller has about all you'd need to teach yourself. They have the articles that I used to learn TIG.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/improving-your-skills/mig/

That link right there will give any enthusiast with a bit of initiative the tools they need to get rolling pretty quickly.

You can do it!

Mark