HybridZ

ATTN megasquirters with EDIS setups

softopz

Where to start? I been diagnosing my EDIS ms2 l28et setup for over a year. I never once though to question the EDIS firing order.

according to the megamanual EDIS page:

"6 cylinder (EDIS6):

• On a 6 cylinder engine, the coils in a 6 terminal pack fire ACB (with ABC left to right with the connector on the bottom). Coil A fires first and should be connected to cylinder #1 and its complimentary cylinder. The coil C should be connected to the cylinder that fires after #1, and its complimentary cylinder. The remaining two cylinders should be connected to coil B.
  • For example, with a 6 cylinder having a firing order of 123456 (GM 60° V6), you would connect coil A to 1&4, coil C to 2&5, coil B to 3&6.
  • On EDIS6, coil A is connected to pin 10 of the EDIS module, coil B is connected to pin 11 of the EDIS module, and coil C is connected to pin 12 of the EDIS module. If these are connected the other way around, the coils will fire in a different order, and the spark plug wires will need to be rearranged. "

I found this to be completely wrong it says ABC from left to right with the plug down. I put 3 spark plug wires with spark plugs to each terminal and wiring only A pin 10 from ign module what happened was the last spark plug sparked and I WAS SHOCKED (not from the spark) which I though was C. I found B was the middle one and C was the first terminal looking at it from left to right. Dont believe me you do the same test. How are you guys wiring your EDIS? Well I think you probally re timed your wheel far enough for it to spark at the right time. I was having a problem with only 3 cylinders running each one from a different terminal and the other 3 werent sparking as hot. This was due to firing order being wrong and the wasted spark was going to the cylinder with the least exhaust gases, and going to the one with the most atomization. Through a pm I told another member who is also having trouble with his ms2 EDIS and BAMN it started.

Just thought Id let everyone know. I am so excited finally my car is running some of you may know I been having a long time getting this setup to run. And now its a matter of tuning the thing and getting all the little things out of the way.

Have you looked at any of the EDIS threads here in the Mega Squirt forum? The stickies at top of the Mega Squirt section?

In particular read the V3 EDIS thread... :wink:

http://forums.hybridz.org/forumdisplay.php?f=88

Yah I actually have specifically that thread at least 10 times I dont know how I missed it hehe . I never seen that drawing till now. Maybe cause its long of a thread and topics were getting side tracked. What Iam also getting it is coil packs could also differ, or not to go on and rely everything that is written on the web. Like yourself and myself we had to verify in practicality I hope the megamanual changes that article.

Anywho Menzer was also in my situation and Iam sure there are others.

• Administrators

I’ve been asked to respond with more info. It’s been well over a year since I played with MS, I don’t recall much off the top of my head and I was using a Chrysler coil pack, not the Ford coil pack.

Ok, I spent about 15 minutes going through the EDIS stuff on the MS web pages, through deduction, I was able to pice together how set your EDIS 6 firing order. If will run if you have spark and VR sensor is oriented to the 36-1 trigger wheel withe #1 cylinder at TDC firing stroke, (60 degrees advanced from the missing tooth, or looking at the front of the engine, 6 teeth counterclockwise!)

If you car does not run, but is getting spark, regardless of what you have done thus far, her is fail safe way verify your coil pack firing order.

1) Ohm out which paired coil of your coil pack goes to which pin. 3 coils, 4 pins. They will all share a common pin, the other 3 pins will be the individual pin for each coil.

2) Z car firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4. As result, with wasted spark ignition, these cylinders are paired up. 1-6, 2-5, 3-4. So the waste spark coil firing order is now 1-6, 2-5, 3-4.

3) EDIS-6 fires these pins in the pic below, in this order pin #10, then pin #12, then Pin #11.

EDIS-6L-6.jpg

So the coil that feeds cylinders 1-6 is wired to pin #10. The coil that feeds cylinders 2-5 is wired to pin #12. The coil that feeds cylinders 3-4 is wired to pin#11.

If your car still doesn’t run but you have spark at the plugs, then you have other issues such as improper clocking of the VR sensor to the 36-1 trigger wheel.

This is easy to verify. With the plug removed from the SAW signal, puts EDIS in limp home mode, ignition timing becomes locked at 10 degrees before TDC. With a helper cranking the engine with the key, using a timing light on cyl #1, your stock Datsun timing marks on the crank damper should be indicating 10 degrees BTDC, or there about. If not, you need to find out why that is, (most likely VR sensor is not clocked appropriately to the 36-1 trigger wheel.)

Edited by BRAAP

I had mine wrong but before starting this thread a week ago I corrected. Then last night after seeing zxtbean coil pack illustration I start thinking "hey what if mine is still wrong?!" so yah this clears up allot of confusion I personally like the colours in your illustration thanks again for taking the time to do that.

My VR sensor is mounted using Dereks pieces very well built! I installed the EDIS setup put it in limp mode and saw if I was getting the 10 BTDC, then I put it back looked at my ignition map to see what MS was asking and it gave me that same numper according to the MAP pressure. So I know its clocked right and timing was good.

Just that when I corrected my spark plug wiring it started right up idled beautifully too! A week later now its not even running?~! so ya I do have other issues. What exactly.? I wish I knew