HybridZ

Series I 240z; R200 VLSD w/ finned cover requires R180 curved Mustache Bar

cafebaltimore

Hi,

Series I 240z

86-88 300ZX R200 CLSD with finned cover

RT Mount front diff mount w/ poly mount

Modern MotorSports Rear Cross Brace Support purchased separately from the R200/R230 Viscous Differential Mounting package

I have not seen this covered and if I missed it I apologize. I have seen a lot of posts where people say to install an 86-88 300ZX CLSD into a 240z you can use an R200 Mustache Bar. I am not sure if R200 MB will work when using a smooth R200 diff cover, but I am fairly certain from my photos below that it will does not work well with the finned cover.

I believe that the proper Mustache Bar to use will be from a 72 240z. This mustache bar is lighter in weight and will require drilling of the two center holes so they will fit over the 0.565" collar on the finned R200 differential.

I had a 72 mustache bar handy and held it up underneath the existing one in the picture and it appears the mating faces of the bar and the finned cover will be coincident to each other, as opposed to the big gap I have now (with the R200 Mustache Bar). If I tighten the mustache bar to the finned diff cover, the mustache bar will bend. Then the mustache bar hits the Link Mount Brace (small bend facing forward as per TM). This was the basis for giving up on the R200 Mustache Bar and starting over with a 72 mustache bar. I will report my results.

I can report that the Modern MotorSports Rear Cross Brace works perfectly with this setup. I did not measure but it looks like an inch of space to the differential.

Thanks for reading.

DSC00505_thumb.JPG

• 3 years later...

You need the r200 mustache bar from a 280Z when putting any long case R200 into any S30. The pickup points on the finned cover as exactly the same as the smooth one, the finned cover just has more volume at the bottom necessitating the lower tie bar to be modified or replaced with one that has the added clearance needed. I can not tell you what fits with the RT mount but with the stock pinion mount, the r200 mustache bar fits just fine with either cover on the diff.